Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Soy and dairy allergy...
nicolemarie416 posted:
My baby turned one and she is allergic to dairy, soy, peanut, and egg. Does anyone know of a milk alternative to give her? We cant give her almond milk because her peanut allergy is so severe the doc said no. We are going to see an allergist soon and he should help with this but I feel im doing something wrong because she is missing something important from her diet. A friend gave me a scoop of Nutramigen formula and my child started gagging so that isnt going to work.

CLS1123 responded:
Hi, my daughter is now 2 and no longer has lactose problems but I was nursing her and she would gag and throw up constantly due to my own dairy intake. I had to cut dairy (for the most part) out of my own diet. We were finally able to switch her over to formula- which was honestly easiest for her. I would recommend checking out Enfamil. It is a little more expensive, but I also received 2- $5.00 coupons a month in the mail when I signed up for the email (and home mail obviously for special offers). They have a newer formula Nutramigen AA for babies with extreme cow-milk protein and multiple food allergies.There is a different Nutramigen with Enflora that isn't the same product. I'm not quite sure if contains any ingredients that would harm your daughter or not, but they have contact numbers on the website. Also, a friend of mine- her son had extreme allergies and could only take a specific type of soy formula and it was actually covered completely by their medical insurance (of course you do have to make the phone calls to see what is covered or if you need to have it 'prescribed' to your child). Definately talk more to your pediatrician, most offices have a lactose professional on hand that can help with that aspect of your child's diet. I should also mention this- my daughter's formula did not taste good. It didn't smell especially great either, but she took to it and the benefits are so much more worth it with all of the vitamins, DHA, and not to mention, she was able to put on weight which had become an issue. I'm sorry for your frustrations, but things may turn around! Thankfully there are a lot more options out there nowadays than ever before. I also have a son (older) who recently developed a wheat allergy- THAT is painful.. it's in so many more products than you can imagine! I wish you all the luck in the world, but I would look into this newer formula for the added benefits for her growing brain and body. If worst comes to worst, Rice milk could also be an option?

seeit2 responded:
Turtle Mountain makes coconut milk called "So Delicious Coconut milk" - they make milk, yogurt, and ice cream products. All are dairy and soy-free. You may need to supplement with a vitamin or talk to an RD about other ways to get more nutrients in the diet but that would definitely be a milk alternative you could use.

There is a food allergy board here on WEbMD that is full of great advice - please come check it out:

http://exchanges.webmd.com/food-allergy-families

My own daughter grew up with milk, egg and wheat allergies, now she is only allergic to milk so I feel your pain. My son is allergic to peanuts so we often use the coconut milk to keep everyone safe.
GL

Deb

seeit2 responded:
By the way, a visit with an RD would really help fill in the gaps in nutrition in her diet. But kids can definitely thrive without cow's milk in their diet - you just have to substitute some of the fats, calcium and vitamin D, all of which are easy enough to get in other foods.

seeit2 responded:
Oh- and Tempt hemp milk is another good one and probably a bit thicker and more milk-like. my kids like the vanilla flavor best.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to seeit2's response:
There's nothing essential about milk in toddlers-- as Seeit2 mentioned, you need to ensure enough fluids, protein, calcium,and vitamin D, but these are all available from other sources.

RE: the milk substitutes mentioned, hemp milk is a high-protein, nutritious beverage, though it's quite expensive. I don't honestly know how the nutrition in coconut milk compares. Rice milk is pretty worthless-- it's low-protein, more like a juice than a milk.

I agree, with these multiple food allergies visiting with a dietician is a good idea. You'll need to learn how to ensure adequete nutrition with these restrictions.

Also, you'll want to work with an allergist to check if she's really allergy to all of these things. Tests can be misleading.

seeit2 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
I'm really glad you said this about the testing. In my experience docs will blanket test for all sorts of foods that the child never had a reaction to in the first place - then the family (and allergist) are stuck adhering to an avoidance diet because of the test results and "possible" reaction. It's different in the case of chronic hives or eczema where you are trying to narrow down the cause of the reaction, but even then an elimination diet is a good way to do that without trusting just the test results.

That being said, the age of your child may dictate an avoid-and-see approach until she is old enough to do a food challenge and articulate how she is feeling physically.

I agree about rice milk, that stuff is pointless. :) As for the prices, unfortunately having food allergies is not cheap. But you save money in your inability to eat out anywhere - so I think it all works out in the end lol.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.