Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
10 year olds who know everything
sarasholei posted:
HOW DO I TEACH MY 10 YEAR OLD SON SOMETHING WHEN HE REFUSES TO BE TEACHED?

Boyzmomee responded:
What are you trying to teach him?

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Children learn mostly from example-- how parents act-- than from what parents say. Positive reinforcement, praise, rewards (not bribes), and clear and consistent expectations are the best ways to teach children.

BehaviorBandAid responded:
He might simply not be motivated to do what you want him to do (or avoid the effects of not doing it). That might seem a bit simple sounding, but I agree with Boyzmomee...it really is going to depend on what you are trying to teach him.

At the risk of promoting my website, check out BehaviorBandAid.com. Hope it helps to provide a bit of assistance with what you are trying to do.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.