Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Water Safety
Anon_15888 posted:
My son is almost 18 months and he's started this new thing during bathtime where he puts his face in the water and literally tries to breathe causing him to (obviously) choke and cough... but then he laughs and tries to do it again.

I've tried only filling the bathtub to about 2" deep thinking it would discourage him, but he still tries to do it and we spend almost his entire time in the bath fighting to keep him from putting his face in the water.

We are always right there during bathtime and never leave him even for a second by himself and I want him to have fun while he's in there instead of pulling him away from the water every 5 seconds. I would also love to put him in swimming classes, but not if he's going to try to "breathe" under water... Any suggestions??

fcl responded:
Let him do it. He's testing to see what he can do. He's not going to deliberately drown. Besides, you're there to ensure he doesn't. Take the stress out of it. Stop fighting. He's curious, that's all.

magsnemma responded:
I think that's a great reason to put him in a parent/child swim class. Most likely he'll love it if he likes putting his face in the water. That is usually something kids don't like to do. The swim instructors will be able to help you teach him how to hold his breath and could probably alleviate your fears about it.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to magsnemma's response:
I agree wi the above answers. Also, he's probably enjoying your reaction to what he's doing, especially if it makes you flustered and red in the face. Stay calm and act bored when he does this (or other behaviors you wish to discourage at this age).

PS for now I only have phone access to these boards-- sorry for all nthe typos!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.