Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
2 yo still not talking
Anon_48719 posted:
My 2 yo (26 mths to be exact) DS is still not talking. He counts, knows letters and colors but still doesn't put 2 words together. Although he tries his hardest to speak, however, unless you know what he's saying it's difficult to understand him (it just sounds like babble). Any advice?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

I can understand why this has you concerned and wanted to pass along a few resources until others chime in.

Language development can be one of the most variable of developmental skills, so this may be something to discuss with his pediatrician. How are his communication vs language skills? Does he express his needs and feelings effectively?

Language Development Between 12 and 24 Months of Age
Time to Talk: When Should My Toddler Start Talking
Talk Milestones

My one personal suggestion - If you are not doing so, read aloud a few books a couple times of day together. I know easier said than done with an active toddler!

Hope this is helpful,
Elizabeth

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
I recently wrote a pair of blog posts here on WebMD about "late talkers" that you may find helpful. I can't cut and paste the links with my phone though-- but search for the "Your Children's Health" blog on this site and you'll find those posts. Best of luck!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Here are the links to Dr. Benaroch's blogs -

Late Talkers: When to Worry

Late Talkers: What to Do

Thanks Dr. Benaroch!

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.