Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

scared to death
samsamsam0341 posted:
My 10 year old son had a friend spend a few nights at my house about a week ago and his mother called today and said that the rash on his back was scabbies. I am terrified that we have got them, I also have a 1 year old son. I've looked on the internet about it and it says it could take up to 6 weeks before you know if we have caught them. I need some advice, please help someone

fcl responded:
The first thing to do is to calm down. There's no reason to be "scared to death" nor "terrified". Scabies are treatable. There is even a treatment for babies

If I were you, I'd see my doctor about getting treated for them "just in case" rather than wait to see whether you have them or not. You'll need a prescription. There is nothing OTC that works. Sorry.

Here's some information on scabies that you might find useful.

Oh, and I would let the child's mother know that it is NOT COOL to let her child go to sleepovers without letting the other parents know he has scabies.

Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.