Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Car Seat Question
MartinaWilliams posted:
just bought a Britax Marathon 70 Car Seat. I am worried about the safety of my DD because it seems as if there are so many accidents on our roads these days. APO 1st Year

My question is, where is the safest place in a car to put the seat?
Me(20), Bf(48), DD,Lilja born Nov.30.10

Take the Poll

just bought a Britax Marathon 70 Car Seat. I am worried about the safety of my DD because it seems as if there are so many accidents on our roads these days. APO Parenting

My question is, where is the safest place in a car to put the seat?
  • Center
  • Behind the passenger seat
  • Behind the driver's seat
vote
View Poll Results

kay_kay75 responded:
MartinaWilliams,

I had this same question before my daughter was born so I posed it to the local fire department and some firefighter friends and everyone I spoke to said to put it in the center is the safest for the baby or behind the driver because if there is an accident the first thing you are going to do is try to avoid getting hit on the drivers side. HTH

Kay (36), DF (39) Kayleigh (6months)

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to kay_kay75's response:
Center is safest.

But: there is something far more important to the safety of your child than what kind of car seat you use, and where you put it. The most important piece of safety "equipment" in the car is ...

MartinaWilliams replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
in the car is....?? hmmm sad to say but I have no idea, Im not even going to try to guess and embarrass myself. I hope u tell me tho cause I would love to know.
Me(20), Bf(48), DD,Lilja born Nov.30.10

FCL replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Good driving ...

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to FCL's response:
Exactly. The most important safety feature is the driver. Keep your eyes and thoughts on the road. No texting, no fiddling with your iPod, no handing things backwards to your kids, etc.

fiannakyn replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Also don't forget to do mainance on your car too. Like make sure the brakes are good, the tires are balanced and not bald, etc!
Vicky- Soon to be Foster parent! Lurking for advice.

ami_nix responded:
I went down to the highway state patrol office and had them install mine and they put it behind the drivers seat but, I drive an SUV that doesn't have a seatbelt section in the middle.

Boyzmomee replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Yes, but you can't control what other drivers are doing.

Boyzmomee replied to ami_nix's response:
I put mine in the middle back seat.

ami_nix replied to Boyzmomee's response:
I have a jeep so, it only has the one backseat, no third row in the very back. That would be convenient though..

RachWell responded:
Well, according to Dwight (from the office), right behind the driver's seat is always the safest place to be. Haha :)

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.