Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

adad
Anon_235289 posted:
I have a 6 year old that was diagnosed with adhd last year. She was taking adderall xr, but she was having trouble falling asleep at night. ( she weighs 35 lbs ) this summer I decided to try her on the plain adderall 5 mg 1 time a day instead of the 2 times a day and her Dr. was ok with it since it was summertime. It was working ok and I also started giving her 5 mg of melatonin at night to help her fall asleep. Everything was going great until her 10 year old sister made her mad one day and she tried to break her arm. I called the dr. about changing her medicine back to the adderall xr and he said to discontinue the regular adderall and to take her to psychiatrist. I got her an appointment and he put her back on adderall, intuniv and zyprexa at night. I do not agree with him on giving her an antipsychotic because she showed physical harm 1 time. Who would you suggest I go to now?

FCL responded:
I would go back to the psychiatrist and discuss your concerns with the prescription. It's best to get a good understanding of the reasons and to ensure the doctor understands why you disagree. Together you can work to improve your daughter's situation. Changing doctors will only have you starting all over again ... and that means wasting time for your daughter.

momuv4girls responded:
Did this psychiatrist do a thorough evaluation on your daughter?
(this takes typically 2 - 3 visits with a ton of paperwork).

I too would be nervous if a Dr. just put my child on all those meds without a complete, thorough evaluation.

Has your daughter had the necessary physical and bloodwork done lately to rule out any physical causes to her behavior ?
A good child psychiatrist will make sure she has before prescribing meds.

If the Child Psychiatrist doesn't "feel" like a good fit and hasn't gone through the proper evaluation procedures, then I'd find a better one.
Here is a good link to explore:
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/child_and_adolescent_psychiatrist_finder/child_and_adolescent_psychiatrist_finder

Take care and good luck to you and your family!
-Kathleen

ami_nix responded:
I would definitely get a second opinion. I found this article and I thought I'd share, it may give you something concrete to give your child's MD about your concerns: http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20060503/more-kids-antipsychotic-drugs I agree with you completely, I would not be at all on board with giving my child antipsychotics.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.