Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Baby Formula - Over and Under diluting
BigDaddyKnapp posted:
Hi all. Thanks in advance for your replies and expertise on this matter. I was wondering what constitutes over or under dilution when preparing a bottle of formula. Most infant formulas range between 8.6 and 8.9 grams of formula per scoop. Each scoop is typically added to 2 ounces of water. So, what would be an acceptable standard deviation? Is it as small as a tenth of a gram? Or can it be as much as a full gram or more?

The reason I ask is that I am wondering how specific I need to be when scooping out the formula. When I'm awake and coherent, it's not a problem, but with a new one, that's a rare event these days! Again, Thanks for your expertise and replies.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Use the scoop included in the packaging. Formula powder is supposed to be measured in volume, not weight.

First, measure out the correct amount of tap water. Then scoop out the powder, shake or tap it down, then use the flat side of a knife, your finger, or the edge of the package to wipe the top of the scoop flat, so the powder comes right to the edge. Add 1 scoop per 2 oz of water. Mix and serve.

Young babies, especially those less than 2-3 mos, really do need either human breast milk or correctly mixed formula, with the right amount of water. Their little kidneys aren't yet good at either conserving water or excreting excess water. I don't think it would be wise to monkey around with scales or other experimental ways of mixing the formula. Follow the directions on the label.

BigDaddyKnapp replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thanks Dr. Benaroch.

Great advice, and would work outstanding if I wasn't holding or dealing with a hungry infant at the same time as I am making the formula. Real world, I sometimes don't have the coherency, patience or available hands to follow those directions. That's why I asked the question in the first place. Any insight other then the standard response provided by the formula makers (and I'm sure reviewed by their legal staff), would be apreciated. Thanks again Dr. Benaroch

FCL replied to BigDaddyKnapp's response:
No offence intended but ... why not just put the baby down in a safe place where s/he can see you and reassure them as you make their formula? I know it's distressing to listen to a hungry baby wail but it will wail for less time if you can quickly and efficiently make the formula :). Also, there is less risk of accident if you put the baby down somewhere safe rather than try to make formula at the same time.

I think we've all been where you are now and can sympathize :)

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Another option is to scoop the formula into bottles ahead of time and then just add water when needed. You can also have bottles of water ready and to make sure you have the correct water measurement.

Or, use a formula dispenser which has dividers for pre-measured powder.

Hopefully you can find a way to save time, frustration and sleep!

Elizabeth

Anon_2991 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
We used the formula dispensers. Each night, we'd load up the bottles with the correct amount of water and then load up the dispensers. When DS woke up, it was simply combining the two. Definitely helped make the process simpler in the middle of the night. I did the same when we were out and about - always a quick mix and he was happily eating.

cyn22mull replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I used the formula dispensers as well. Before I went to bed each night I would add the water to the bottles and sit them on the counter and fill the formula dispenser up with the right about of powder. It did make it easier for those middle of the night feedings.

sarahann1978 responded:
Don't they also make ready to use liquid formula? It is probably more expensive, but if it is that complicated maybe that would be the best route to go, at least for the night feedings.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.