Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

I am at my wits end with my 6yr old son
BrookeFaye posted:
My six year old son seems to be very emotional - maybe even hormonal- in the last six months. He is an only child, very athletic, competitive, funny, and loves to be outside. However, he used to be a very loving, sincere, wants to please young boy. It seems as though everything lately sets him off: when he can't play with a friend, can't watch tv, has to take a shower etc. And I can say that once I say no to it, his whining and crying and throwing a fit doesn't get him what he wants. today when I told him no, he couldn't go on a bike ride with his friend, he yelled I hate you, you're the worst mom ever! He came home, slammed doors, cried and from then on everything set him off.
Is there anything that may be part of hormones/puberty? I usually let him cool off and chill out and that mostly works. But I'm TIRED of it. He doesn't act like this at school and nothing has changed in his life in the last 11 months. Last year we moved, he started kindergarten and a pet had died. I really need help or suggestions. I would like to have hair left by the time I hit forty.

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Brooke,

It is so hard when you have a "difficult" child, one that doesn't conform how we think they should. ((Hugs))

I am just guessing here, but I bet discipline / consequences don't work, huh? You could tell him you're taking away his prized possession and he doesn't care and it won't motivate him to stop.
Your home has become a battlefield, right? Oh, I feel for you, because its exhausting and draining.

Honestly, the very, very best advice I can give is to find a smart, qualified Child Psychologist to see your son.
A really good Dr. can help with disciple strategies, work with your son and you also will gain a lot of information and support.
There are great parenting books that can help too, like
http://www.parentmagic.com/parentingsolutions-view.cfm
but a "complete package" of you reading, and learning, plus your son seeing the psychologist will benefit everyone longterm into adulthood.

You don't mention his father, is he a part of his life?

((Hugs))
-Kathleen

BrookeFaye replied to momuv4girls's response:
Kathleen
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am married to his father- I guess when I typed "we" I automatically assumed father, me and son! ha.
I hate to paint him as a "difficult" child. He really isn't, that is why I'm so frustrated. It just seems to have been a turn lately. I mentioned that in my original post he was a loving, caring, sensitive boy. Yet now, he's owly, growly and moody. I'm just wondering if hormones are playing a part of any/some/all of it?
About a year and a half ago, I did take him to a therapist. That was right before he entered kindergarten and moved. She gave HIM some ideas for any anxiety or anger issues and recommended a sticker reward system for home. That worked for about 3 months and then he got tired of it. But by then the therapist felt that he was well adjusted and using his strategies. I will check out the website for additional help. Thanks! Brooke

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.