Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    I am at my wits end with my 6yr old son
    BrookeFaye posted:
    My six year old son seems to be very emotional - maybe even hormonal- in the last six months. He is an only child, very athletic, competitive, funny, and loves to be outside. However, he used to be a very loving, sincere, wants to please young boy. It seems as though everything lately sets him off: when he can't play with a friend, can't watch tv, has to take a shower etc. And I can say that once I say no to it, his whining and crying and throwing a fit doesn't get him what he wants. today when I told him no, he couldn't go on a bike ride with his friend, he yelled I hate you, you're the worst mom ever! He came home, slammed doors, cried and from then on everything set him off.
    Is there anything that may be part of hormones/puberty? I usually let him cool off and chill out and that mostly works. But I'm TIRED of it. He doesn't act like this at school and nothing has changed in his life in the last 11 months. Last year we moved, he started kindergarten and a pet had died. I really need help or suggestions. I would like to have hair left by the time I hit forty.
    momuv4girls responded:
    Hi Brooke,

    It is so hard when you have a "difficult" child, one that doesn't conform how we think they should. ((Hugs))

    I am just guessing here, but I bet discipline / consequences don't work, huh? You could tell him you're taking away his prized possession and he doesn't care and it won't motivate him to stop.
    Your home has become a battlefield, right? Oh, I feel for you, because its exhausting and draining.

    Honestly, the very, very best advice I can give is to find a smart, qualified Child Psychologist to see your son.
    A really good Dr. can help with disciple strategies, work with your son and you also will gain a lot of information and support.
    There are great parenting books that can help too, like
    but a "complete package" of you reading, and learning, plus your son seeing the psychologist will benefit everyone longterm into adulthood.

    You don't mention his father, is he a part of his life?

    BrookeFaye replied to momuv4girls's response:
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am married to his father- I guess when I typed "we" I automatically assumed father, me and son! ha.
    I hate to paint him as a "difficult" child. He really isn't, that is why I'm so frustrated. It just seems to have been a turn lately. I mentioned that in my original post he was a loving, caring, sensitive boy. Yet now, he's owly, growly and moody. I'm just wondering if hormones are playing a part of any/some/all of it?
    About a year and a half ago, I did take him to a therapist. That was right before he entered kindergarten and moved. She gave HIM some ideas for any anxiety or anger issues and recommended a sticker reward system for home. That worked for about 3 months and then he got tired of it. But by then the therapist felt that he was well adjusted and using his strategies. I will check out the website for additional help. Thanks! Brooke

    Helpful Tips

    Son Peeing
    I have a suggestion for the parents with the boy that is peeing in the house. Maybe he needs the "freedom" of peeing. I would let him go ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.