Tips on how to address being too affectionate
An_239388 posted:
I need tips on how to address that it's not okay to be affectionate at school. My 5 year old just started kindergarten and had never been in school before. I was informed that he made some children uncomfortable because he is a bit affectionate and likes to give hugs and likes to tickle. We are very affectionate at home and playful all in a very safe way. We are working with him on how to keep our hand to ourselves, etc. But I would like additional tips on how to approach this without making him feel like showing affection is wrong.

momuv4girls responded:
I would purchase a book (similar to this one) http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Space-Camp-Childrens-Skills/dp/1934073059
and discuss this in terms of "personal space" - - I would talk about hugging Mommy and Daddy and Gramma is a way to show our love, but friends at school we use our words and say "hi". Something along those lines.

Now a days there are so many good, kid appropriate books out there - hopefully one like I posted will enlighten your son about the understanding of personal space.
Good Luck !!
-Kathleen

tothebeach4 responded:
Aw, I think that's sweet! Unfortunately, when it comes to school, I guess there are rules in place about touching other children, so I can see where your predicament comes in.

I would think that while he's in school, it would be up to his teachers to remind him of the rules about touching other children while in school. If they told you he was making children uncomfortable, then why didn't they suggest a way for you to help correct him?

I'm sorry I don't have an answer or suggestion for you, but it just seems like his teachers should've been more helpful, really. Goodluck to you and him... he sounds like a sweet boy!

tothebeach4 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Oh wow, that's good to know! Seems like they have books for just about everything these days!

An_239388 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I already put the order in.