Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

What were you doing on 09/11/01?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Most of us remember what we were doing the day our world forever changed.

I remember panicked employees, patients and doctors. I was trying to stay calm, trying to make sense of things while the day was spiraling out of control. All I wanted to do was hide in my office and try to reach my NYC friends. Still at times, the thought of that day, the days and weeks after, stir frightful, somber emotions.

What were you doing on September 11, 2001? How has that day changed you?

Elizabeth

fiannakyn responded:
I do not watch TV or check the news before work. But on the drive to work I do listen to the radio, so I heard about the 2nd plane in my car. I got to work (at the time I worked at a MCI call center) and they had locked the building down. everyone who arrived after the lock down were sent home and I spent the rest of the day watching the news.
honestly I don't think that day itself changed me. I didn't know anyone in NYC or DC. I think the additude change of the nation in the weeks that followed had a bigger impact on me.
Vicky- Soon to be Foster parent! Lurking for advice.

baby1at35 responded:
I was at a job interview at Marsh in my city at the same time the plane hit the tower. (Marsh offices in NY.) It was horrible as the office was in chaos worrying about their collegues. Difficult to focus on the interview as the everyone was running around the office.
I did get the job. When I started and we had to email NY we never knew for awhile if who we were emailing was still alive.
As bad as it was for me as I looked on in horror ...I can't imagine how awful it was for the families.
It was hard to deal with our collegues in NY that lost so much. I remember getting the CD and memorial sheet listing over 200 collegues names. It was a very , very moving and emotional experience. Even though I didn't get to know those people...I found that all of us were a bit more compassionate to our fellow co workers, more patient and tried to help as much as we could.

kay_kay75 responded:
I was driving on Highway 70 from St Charles to St Louis MO, I was in shock the whole time rushing to get to work where there were televisions to be able to see what was going on. I worked at a call center that did seminars in different cities, at the time we were calling NYC for a seminar later that week, needless to say our work screeched to a halt for 2 weeks before we started making calls again. I get the chills everytime I think about it!

tothebeach4 responded:
I was at work on Tuesday, September 11, 2001. I remember distinctly what a beautiful day it was. I was shuffling around the office as usual when a co-worker told me a plane hit the WTC and I just remember thinking "What a horrific accident... that's terrible"... and then the 2nd plane hit and well, it was obvious then, wasn't it? I work for a government contractor, so the people I work with are from all different areas of the country. I remember one of my co-workers was from NYC, still had family there... some who worked in the towers and one family member worked for the fire department. He left work immediately.

I just remember going home that day and watching the footage over and over... and over and not believing this could've happened. I cried non-stop thinking about all those people and all their families... the children who would never see their parents again... the parents who would never see their children again... ugh. And hearing about the plain that crashed in PA... brave, brave Americans who took things into their own hands to put a stop to what could've been even more devastation. I still shake and get very emotional thinking about how scared they all must've been. The image that sticks out most is the footage of people in the streets of NYC, watching in horror, sobbing and crying out as they watched people jumping from the towers... knowing there was absolutely nothing they could do... <smh>.

I live in southeastern VA in one of our countries largest military communities and, yes, the thought crosses my mind that my home could oneday be targeted just because of the mass of military we have, but I can't let that fear drive me from home. I suppose growing up here has also instilled a deep sense of pride in our country and the men and women who fight for it, but I honestly never thought I would live day to day with war and terrorism being the norm... it's definitely a different world now from 9/10/01.

miob responded:
I was on my honeymoon. DH and I were married on 9/8/01. We spent the first few days of the honeymoon relaxing on Cape Cod, Mass and were scheduled to fly out of Logan in Boston the next morning to Disney (9/12)

I woke up and was watching the Today Show when the second plane hit. We fielded frantic phone calls from family members who weren't sure which day we were flying and tried to figure out what we were going to do in the midst of all the chaos. Disney was amazing and immediately rescheduled the trip for October. There was no point in continuing our honeymoon - really hard to celebrate with everything that was going on at that point in time. We returned home a few days later and returned to work early.

It's tough to always have that tie to something which should have been a wonderful time in your lives, but of course it pales in comparison to the experiences of those who lost their lives and loved ones on that horrible day. That was a frantic day I will never forget.

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.