Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Teen Acne
Anon_123299 posted:
My 15 year old son has severe acne. He has had acne for the past 2 years, but it has become noticeably worse the past few months. We live in a somewhat rural area, and getting an appointment with a dermatologist is taking 6 weeks. We have tried several over the counter treatments - mostly salicylic acid washes with benzoil peroxide topicals (Neutrogena, Murad, AcneFree). We recently tried a product touted as all natural (Pronexin wash, spot treatment, and Acnepril herbal supplement). We became impatient waiting for the Derm appointment, and went to our family Dr., who prescribed Monocycline and Differin. He started the Minocycline 100 mg/twice daily 9/28; I have not had the Differin filled because of concerns as to how his skin would handle. He is very broken out, but does not have oily skin, and his acne/face appears irritated. He is using Cetaphil cleanser 2x/day. He had used Benzaclin in the past. I didn't think it was working well, and because of the high cost, discontinued - but his skin has become markedly worse in the 3-4 weeks he has not been using it. Would it be appropriate to use Benzaclin in conjunction with the Minocycline? What about using Clindamycin and benzoil peroxide? They would have a combined cost of about $25, as opposed to the $150 I am paying for a small jar of Benzaclin. We are getting desperate! Any help, advice, thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

sdadkin responded:
I am not sure about the treatments you are talking about, but my cousin used to have acne really bad and she started using ProActive (the one they advertise on tv all the time) and it really worked for her. I think you can get it for around $25 or so. Have you tried that before? Maybe it would work for your son too.

stribe5 replied to sdadkin's response:
Thanks for the suggestion. We did not try ProActive with this son, but an older son (who did not have acne as bad) did try it without good results. I do appreciate any ideas! It is so hard to watch his face just become more and more broken out! Thanks again.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and Welcome!

This is a frustrating and embarrassing situation for teens to deal with. I wanted to give you a few resources about teen skin care and acne from our Acne Health Center .

Quiz: Myths & Facts About Teen Acne
Teen Acne Solutions
Coping with Acne

You may also want to repost on our Skin Problems and Treatment Community for possible expert response.

Hope this is helpful,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.