Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

To Vaccinate or Not Vaccinate? That is the question.
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
This hot button topic has been discussed more than once in this community and now a new study shows more than 1 in 10 parents do not follow the recommended vaccination schedule.

After reading this article, More Than 1 in 10 Parents Don't Follow Vaccination Schedule , come back and share your thoughts.

Before I had my daughter I had many questions and concerns about vaccinations. I was fortunate to give birth around the same time as my daughters pediatrician. She and I talked about things and as she explained "Until you treat a child in ICU with an illness that could have been prevented with a vaccine, it is difficult to explain how important vaccinations are".

I deferred to her and my daughter got the same vaccines and followed the schedule as my pediatricians daughter

• Has your child received all of their scheduled vaccinations?
  • Have you delayed or changed the vaccination schedule?
  • Has your child received H1N1, seasonal influenza or chickenpox vaccine?

Elizabeth

kay_kay75 responded:
  • Has your child received all of their scheduled vaccinations? Yes she has had all of her vaccines to date
  • Have you delayed or changed the vaccination schedule? Yes, I refuse to give her more than 2 shots in a visit, we go back 2 weeks later for the others, my Doctor is fine with this as long as she gets her vaccines.
  • Has your child received H1N1, seasonal influenza or chickenpox vaccine? She will get the Flu vaccine when it is time, although she will get the one without the preservatives, apparently it includes the H1N1 here in MO so no worries and I am on the fence with the Chickenpox vaccine, she isn't old enough for it and I honestly don't see the need for it but I will cross that bridge when it comes.

tothebeach4 responded:
Has your child received all of their schedule vaccinations? Yes, absolutely. He is in perfect health, so I don't have any reason for concern when it comes to getting vaccinations.

Have you delayed or changed the vaccination schedule? No. I would rather get it over with in one visit than keep taking him back several times to drag it out. He has enough anxiety in the doctor's office as it is.

Has your child received H1N1, seasonal influenza or chickenpox vaccine? We have an appointment scheduled this afternoon to get his flu shot which included the H1N1 vaccine. And, yes, he has received his first dose of the chickenpox vaccine... one less thing to worry about

fiannakyn responded:
Honestly-

I don't know, but I'm assuming so.
I have not. I may if he's behind.
Yes on the flu, I do not know on the chickenpox. the H1N1 is not a seperate shot this year.
Vicky

fiannakyn replied to fiannakyn's response:
forgot to say- if he has not had the chickenpox and is ok to get it- he gets it. I am one of the few that is not immune to it. I've had Chickenpox 3x -once landed me in the hospital. So I'd rather not get it again.
Vicky

sarahann1978 responded:
Absolutely!
I think the delayed schedules are a waste, get them in and get them over with at once. I do make exception for those whose children suffer from febrile seizures, then it makes sense to me to avoid fever by spreading out the vaccines.
We had the H1N1 as soon as it was available and now get it in the seasonal flu shot. DS has had the first chickenpox vaccine and will get any boosters when it is time. We had our flu shots last year and still got the flu, but even so I still plan to get one as soon as I can because I hate being sick and would do whatever to avoid it!

ami_nix responded:
Has your child received all of their scheduled vaccinations? Yes he has. I studied Virology in college so, I've seen what these viruses can do. The reason these viruses were no longer active is that most everyone was vaccinated. That is no longer the case. I think, now more than ever, we need to protect our children from these potenially deadly viruses.

Have you delayed or changed the vaccination schedule? No

Has your child received H1N1, seasonal influenza or chickenpox vaccine? He's not old enough for either of those but, he will have them as soon as he can.
Noah's mom~"Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life" - Sophocles

phoenix31674 responded:
I do believe in vaccines. Just having your kid with a cold is horrible. I can't imagine something worse.

My kids are more or less up to date. Sometimes I forget about the checkup and one of them will fall behind a little bit, but it's just because I forget to call the clinic.

DD has had her flu shots and I think she got dose one of chickenpox, but I'd have to check. DS will be getting his flu shot this year. He was too young last year.

Anmar22 responded:
Has your child received all of their scheduled vaccinations? Yes definately Have you delayed or changed the vaccination schedule? Not at all, why make more visits than necessary and have to pay more copays?
Has your child received H1N1, seasonal influenza or chickenpox vaccine? flu shot, she got last year and I'm pretty sure she'll get it again this year. Chicken pox, I'm really not sure if she's had it or not.

Namaste42 responded:
1. No
2. yes
3. no way, never will.
I don't know if moderator will keep this post up, but...

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

I just feel I had to share. ***my child has only received one round of MMR/Polio (when he was 1 yr old) that was enough. Don't want to pollute his body and weaken his immune system by giving him the vaccines that include ingredients containing bovine blood, monkey fetus, extracted aborted fetus/placenta, chemical by-products that are used for industrial use, formaldehyde, etc....
Look up the ingredients yourself (if you don't believe me) also, if you don't reconize a word/ingredient then google it and educate yourself...we need to keep our bodies pure; read the latest scientific studies... my child is 3 1/2 yr old and has only been really sick two times in his life (once from the vaccine) he occasinaly will get a mild allergy cold in the fall, which I treat w/homeopathic and naturopathic medicine and a double intake of certain fruits/veggies to boost his immune system (he's never needed /taken antibiotics either). On a regular since he was 1yr old I have been giving him an awesome vegan vitamin/mineral supplement and whole food supplements (he can be a picky eater like some toddlers...lol) and eats a lot of whole foods as well. (also cook a lot) I feel blessed that he is such a healthy kid (even his peditrician is amazed) I think it is because I have always kept myself very healthy and pure (i breastfed for 6 months and then pumped the milk for him to drink until almost 2yr). He was born at 34 weeks and the NICU told me that they would have to keep him for like 2 weeks, they let us go after 5days because he gained weight quick, had no health problems they were also amazed. Although it can get expensive it's worth the sacrifice (i have given up a lot of material possessions).
~namaste~

Alach2287 responded:
My daughter got all the Vaccines she needed when she was an infant, now that she is 5, I decided to not get her the H1N1, and only half of the seasonal influenza. Children are required to have the chickenpox vaccine to start school, so unless I find a loop hole with that, she will need to get that but I would prefer for her not to have it. I believe that kids should get sick, help their body build up their natural immunities so that in the future when there is some kind of super bug that has morphed to being resistant to all of our immunizations, my daughter may be at an advantage.

JetKnee_x responded:
  • Has your child received all of their scheduled vaccinations? My sweet pea has!

• Have you delayed or changed the vaccination schedule? She received her 6 months shots a few weeks late only due to vacation and being out of town.

• Has your child received H1N1, seasonal influenza or chickenpox vaccine? She has not received them yet, but I will be okay with her getting the flu and H1N1 shots, but I won't do chicken pox. I got it when I was younger and I don't see an issue with getting your immunity that way. One less shot will not make her any less healthy.

melinville responded:
Has your child received all of their scheduled vaccinations?
Definitely!

Have you delayed or changed the vaccination schedule?
Nope.

Has your child received H1N1, seasonal influenza or chickenpox vaccine?
Yes to all. And will continue to.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.