Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Obvious Info, But Why is This Happening? Overweight Kids Risk HBP
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
We all understand that overweight kids are at risk for more health problems - But why does this trend continue?

Overweight Children Nearly Three Times More Likely to Have High Blood Pressure, Study Finds

This article goes on to explain "...kids with high blood pressure have subtle changes in the brain area that controls attention, problem solving, and working memory."

This makes me think about our Fall Activity Challenge and getting our kids up, out and moving around more!

• How do we curb this trend?
  • How do we teach our kids healthy eating and lifestyle habits?

Looking forward to brainstorming with you,
Elizabeth

kay_kay75 responded:
  • How do we curb this trend? The first thing is to stop letting the television and video games be a babysitter, encourage your kids to be active and have an imagnination. My daughter is only 8 months old but there is no television for her, I hear people that have children my daughters age talking about the shows that their child "likes" this is bad for brain development why would you do this to your child? There are ongoing studies to see if this is contributing to ADD and ADHD children as well. I say no thank you, I do my best for her to not watch it at all.
  • How do we teach our kids healthy eating and lifestyle habits? The only way to do this is to provide a good example for your children, don't make food a reward, have healthy snacks, stay away from fast food, limit processed foods. To me it is a no brainer, cook like our mothers did, real food with real ingredients.

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.