Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Holy advancement Batman!
Anon_1135 posted:
Samwise has been with us 6 weeks now. He came to us a few days after his 16 month "birthday" and is now 17 months 2 weeks. Today I realized he has advanced SOOO Much sense that first day!

When Sam came to us (16 months) he could:
Walk mostly un assisted
Can kick a ball but falls down.
Climbs stairs on hands and knees
Verbalize "Da-Da" but not mean anything by it.
Feed himself mostly with just hand and not really understand fork or spoon
Does not like raw veggies or hard fruits (fresh apple)
Bananas have to be sliced and grapes cut in half for him to be able to eat
Drink easily from a sippy cup
Throws sippy cup, food, or fork on ground when "done"
Sleep through the night with 2 naps during the day
Carry items while walking, with a few stumbles
Occasionally wave by-by but not consistently
NO consistent word association, no real expressive words and about 10 word receptive language.
Is able to put arm through shirt sleeve with assistance.
Has no preference for type of clothes or lovey
Wears size 3 diaper, 12 month pants, 18 month shirts, 5 wide shoe.
Medical report says he weighed 20 lbs, I measured him to be 2.5 foot
Minimal object permanence.
Puts everything in mouth and tries to eat it.
Will put items in a basket or box then take right back out.
Refuses to keep shoes on, as soon as I get one on and go to put the other on, the first was off. (Partial reason was he was wearing shoes in size 6 instead of 5)

By the 4th week with us (17 months) he could:
Walk 100% un assisted
Walk up and down stairs while holding onto a hand or railing.
Kicks ball and stay steady, aim still off.
Feeds self 99% of time, can use fork to spear food and eat off the tines, still have trouble with concept of scooping with spoon. Prefers to still eat with hand.
Grapes are eatable whole, bananas just have to be broken into about 2 inch sections (1/4 of whole banana)
Puts sippy cup and unwanted food in "designated" spot on food tray. Only throws cup when fustrated. If using cup away from table will tend to drop it when done, or set down on ground. Will inconsistently bring it to me when asked to.
50+ receptive word language
Consistent proper word use of "hot, momma, daddy, Hey" Shakes head no when I say no.
Inconsistent word use of "key, sock, hi, shoe, car, go, no"
Will follow simple directions infrequently. *mostly "Bring me your ball."*
Has mostly dropped one of his naps and takes one at noon instead of 10 and 4
Can find hidden items under 2-3 other things
Has very good object permanence.
Gets very excited when hears water running in bathroom (loves bath time)
Will put items in box or basket and knows to put toys in toybox (but does it infrequently even with prompting)
Wears size 4 diaper, 12-18 month pants, 18-24 month shirts.
Doctor appointment on oct 11 weighed him as 26 lbs
Recognizes and expresses excitement at seeing "YoGabbaGabba" and Sesame Street characters. And any pillow Pets
Loves and dances along with all music.
Has discovered his penis and touches it frequently while in tub or being diapered.
Infrequently tries to interact with the cats by grabbing their tails if they get too close. Does not chase.
Eats almost anything offered, starting to get "picky" based on texture. Has started to accept raw apple and can bite off mouth fulls of bread, does not like beef at all.
Can hold out legs for pants and socks and shoes, can get shirt on if I put it over his head.
Does not try to instantly get shoes off, but if the shoe has Velcro, may take off in the car.

fiannakyn responded:
I dont know why is says anonomous but its me, Fiannakyn (Vicky- new foster parent!!))

and By 6th week (17 m 2 weeks)
Walk up and down stairs one step (both feet on each step) at a time with nothing to hold on
Walk up and down stairs one foot on each step while holding onto a hand or railing (if step is narrow enough)
Kicks balls easily, throws overhand with better aim and force.
100 receptive word language.
Consistent proper word use of "hot, nana(banana), momma, daddy, Hey, Hi, sock, Uh-oh (when dropped something), car, 'dank-oo' (thank you) "
Inconsistent proper word use of "Kitty, ball, shoe, foot, talk, light, hug"
Will follow most simple directions. "Thow that in the trash" "bring me your cup" Beginnings of "helper" stage.
Tries to interact with the cats by petting and hugging them. Still tends to go for tail. Will "chase" if he sees them in his area.
Can take bites of food from larger pieces, but if its slightly too big, still tries to stuff it all in. Still working on fork and spoon use. Still dislikes beef but if hamburger is crumbled fine enough will eat it in pasta. Favorite food is bananas or Spaghetti. favorite meal is breakfast.
Will consistently put sippy cup back where belong except when playing- (looks straight at me and hangs his hand over the edge of the tray to "accidently" drop it)
When using sippy cup away from table, has a designated place to keep cup and snacks. Will return cup to spot consistently, sometimes needs reminding.
Is starting to be able to identify body parts. will point at nose, lift foot and wave hand when directed.
Still mostly ambidextrous but seems to be favoring the left hand (might be wishfull thinking from this lefty)
Vicky

ami_nix responded:
It's amazing what stability and a loving home can do! It must be so rewarding for you to see him blossom before your eyes! You really are an amazing person, I'm glad to see you've finally realized your dream... you were obviously meant to be a Mommy
Noah's mom~"Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life" - Sophocles

sdadkin replied to fiannakyn's response:
I think you will be surprised by how much he will learn every day especially if you work with him like you do. My oldest DS has learned so much in the past few months. He turned two in July and around his birthday he just started talking up a storm. He is able to count to 10 and just started learning his ABC's. And he has learned the lyrics to quite a few songs and sings them on his own. And now we are at the stage where the "Why?" questioning has begun. Lol.

I think your new son is a great learning environment and he will do great! You seem like a wonderful mommy!

RoseLynn02 replied to fiannakyn's response:
Wow! That's amazing. You're really helping to improve that LO's life. I have nothing but the up most respect for people like you who foster or adopt children in need and actually do it out of love and compassion. I have my birth mom but was adopted by my step dad. You would never know it with out being told. He has always loved me as his own even before the adoption went through & lucky me got the daddy I never would have had otherwise. Sounds to me like you are meant for this. Not all foster parents can say the same. Congrats on your LO's achievements & yours.

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.