Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
After Being Diagnosed with Lead Poisoning
delaynieandellasmomma posted:
My 3 year-old daughter was diagnosed with lead poisoning a little over a year ago. Her initial lead level was 33. The previous residents of our home didn't follow regulations when they changed the windows, which filled the yard with lead. She hasn't had any symptoms, and her levels are within safe levels at this point, but I haven't been able to find much information for parents after children are diagnosed with lead poisoning. All of the information that I can find deals with preventing it.

My question is this: Does anyone know what her prognosis is? I've talked to her pediatrician, but he doesn't seemed very concerned, probably because there is absolutely nothing that we can do at this point. I have been routinely checking her development, and everything checks out fine, but I read in one place that lead poisoning at the age of two may not show developmental delay until a child is four! Is it inevitable that my poor baby is going to struggle for the rest of her life because of this? Is there a possibility it won't affect her, or has our ignorance sentenced her to a problematic future?

I have another five year-old daughter with autism. The idea of watching my healthy little girl deteriorate terrifies me. Is there a doctor or nurse who can give me some real information?

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
I think what you mean my "real information" is a clear, unequivocal answer. Sorry, but there's no way to predict how at-risk your daughter is.

The effects of lead poisoning depend on many things other than the lead level. Different people have different susceptibility to the effects of lead (that seems to be genetic). Certain other health conditions, like iron deficiency, seem to have an additive effect on lead poisoning. Effects also depend on how long the level was elevated.

There is a very good possibility that a lead level of 33 will lead to no permanent harm whatsoever, but no one can predict that at age 3. Certainly you can already say that there are no severe or marked problems-- that you'd notice already. Subtle issues just can't be ruled out at this age, so continued watchfulness is something you're going to keep in mind.

I'm sorry, I know you wanted a clear 100% answer, but anyone who promises you that isn't being honest with you. The best way to ensure her continued normal development is to love your daughter and enrich her life with activities, language, and social experiences-- not TV.

Best of luck!

TKBaby replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
I realize that this short thread is over a year old, but I also have the same questions and am looking for some hope. My son's first finger prick blood draw revealed a BLL of 84. We were told his level was so high that it might have been a lab error, so we needed to have him tested again, this time using an intravenous blood draw. We learned that false highs are common, but from what we could deduce, that high of a number would probably mean he still had a high level. His results came back yesterday, and he has a BLL of 54. I am not overly confident with our healthcare system as I have not experienced a true sense of urgency in this matter. We do have an appointment on Monday with our pediatrician to discuss a plan of action. So far on our own we have purchased some foods to help with natural chelation. We also removed our son and ourselves from our house, as it is an old house, and we suspect is the source of the lead.

Are there any longterm studies of children who measured high but are now doing well in school? I can't seem to find much online.

To the original poster, what did you do to bring down your daughter's level by that much in one year? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

delaynieandellasmomma replied to TKBaby's response:
my daughters pediatrician put her on mild chelation, which quickly reduced her lead level. Last spring she was given a developmental evaluation that put her in the top ten percent for her exact age. the information available online can be a little extreme because there is no cure for lead, only prevention. the average lead level in the 1960s was in the thirties. obviously, you should take it very seriously, but your son's life isn't hopeless at all.

Rachelweiruoyi responded:
I am doing a school project (Keep chemical stuff away from children) and I am trying to connect with some sick children's parents in order to make more people support my idea, because of it, I am writing this letter to you.[br>
During my research, I konw a lot of new thing, and I realize how serious the problem is. I already did some thing for this, I created a blog(Rachelprotectschildrenhealth.wordpress.com) and wrote letter to local government. I want to show my idea to you cause I agree with you, and I also want to know some imformation from you about the hramful chemicals. I just want to let you know that you are not alone. There are many people like me that have the same ideas like you. If you have some time, could you please tell me about your story? Did you connect to the media or government at that time? What did the hospital say, if anything? How were you treated and how did you feel? It is my pleasure if you can tell me more about your story, and this is my email: weiruoyi@126.com

momsaangell responded:
We got my little boy when he was 18 months old he is 8 now his counts where above 90 we have been dealing with so much . None talking ,signing until he learned to talk, non fine motor skills ,potty training all over again, anger, autism, ADHD , now seizes . It's really hard he now is peeing in his room ,he has busted 3 iPads . He pretends a lot like barking like barking like a dog. I'm also trying to get more info but if u need to ask me anything plz do.. Leslie

Helpful Tips

Toddlers and Calcium
Toddlers need calcium for healthy bones/teeth. 700 mg/day = 2-3 eight oz glasses of milk but also in other food/fortified sources as well. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.