Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

my daughter
mommy2cierra posted:
hi I have a 19 month old daughter and she was born a 36+3weeks weighing 6lbs 7.7oz and she now only weighs 23lbs is this a good weight for her or is she under-weight, i think she is tall for her age

sdadkin responded:
My son is 29 months old (2 and a half) and he only weighs 27 pounds. His doctor didn't have any concerns about his weight at his 2 year check up (he weighed 26 pounds then). His birthweight was 6 lbs 2 oz. I think your daughter is probably just fine

phoenix31674 responded:
There is no right or wrong weight for a child - or no specific one. What matters is whether your daughter has been following the same growth curve. I don't have one in front of me, but lets say that 23lbs is the 20th percentile curve. If she has always been right around that curve, her weight is probably fine. Especially if she is meeting all her cognitive milestones.

One of the mothers at my daughter's preschool as a 24 month old daughter who has always been off the charts small and probably only weighs about 24lbs and is only slightly taller than my 14 month old son. She's perfectly healthy, just tiny.

Now if your daughter has jumped down several curves on the growth chart, that would be something to address with your pedi - who should have brought it up at that point.

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.