Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
New parents to be
An_242131 posted:
My wife and I are expecting, however we are serving overseas in China. With that, it is difficult to set up appointments and travel arrangement can be hard as well. Right now we have a well-respected doctor that we will visit in Beijing and we are very happy for that. The problem (hopefully not a big one) is that we cannot have our first visit until Jan. 11 which is her 11th week of the 1st trimester. Is that too long or are we in the "safe zone?" I would appreciate your response

Stephen Reyes

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
You'll probably be fine. I hope your wife is taking a prenatal vitamin every day, plus avoiding tobacco, alcohol, other drugs, and medications. I don't think there's much else you'll need to do, unless your wife has other kinds of health problems. There are some screening tests, but those can probably safely wait until 11 weeks.

Best of luck to you!

rey6780 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thank you, We are very relieved parents.

FCL replied to rey6780's response:
If it's any comfort, many doctors won't even see a pregnant woman before 12 weeks because there is very little that can be done other than prescribe prenatal vitamins

Congratulations!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome and Congratulations!

Be sure to check out our Pregnancy Health Center , it has great information for the parents-to-be. Here is the 1st Trimester info to get you started.

We also have a many Pregnancy Communities to connect with others growing a little one!

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

candy352 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
You guys should be fine. Like PP said, a dr sometimes won't see you until you are almost in the 2nd tri, unless you have a high risk pregnancy that needs to be closely monitored.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.