Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

dry around lips..any ideas?
baby1at35 posted:
Poor Tre has really dry spots around his lips. His lips are dry as well.
I have been putting vaseline on at night and it helps some.
Any other things that may work? (BTW he really does not like chap stick for some reason so I am having a hard time getting him to at least try that. But around his lips is worse than his actual lips.

He tends to get this every winter. The air is super dry around here and I do have a humidifier going in his room as well.

kay_kay75 responded:
He may be a bit dehydrated as well, try to up his fluid intake, this happens to my daughter every time a storm comes through our area.

RS11518 responded:
My son had the same problem last year and then he started to pick at his lips. The doctor recommended putting Aquaphor on his lips at night after he fell asleep. We did this for a couple of weeks and it worked great. They healed up great and he stopped picking at them too. If you don't have Aquaphor, then maybe a good chap stick after he falls asleep would work too?

baby1at35 replied to RS11518's response:
Thanks. It is getting a bit better with the vaseline. But still dry and seems to be healing.
I am taking him to the pedi tonight (sinus/ear stuff) so I will ask there too.
It gets so dry and bright red I am worried he will scratch and get infection. Poor guy.

tothebeach4 replied to baby1at35's response:
Doesn't Neopsporin make some kind of lip balm? I've never tried it, but I remember seeing a commercial that said it helps to promote healing while keeping your lips moisturized.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.