Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Let's Move: Submit Questions to the First Lady!
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
On Feb. 10, WebMD will host a Townhall meeting to recognize the 2nd anniversary of First Lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move initiative, a effort aimed at helping children live healthier, more active lives.

What are your questions for our panel of WebMD experts and the First Lady related to living a healthy lifestyle for you and your children?

Post them here and we will select some to be included in the Q&A.
WebMD Community: A vibrant place to find support and feedback from experts and others like you.

SoCalSuz responded:
Many people use weather as an excuse not to get outside with and get active with kids.

What are your suggestions for those who face rainy weather, ice cold winters or hot summers?

Suz

SweetSusieB responded:
What are some healthy foods I can serve to my family in a hurry. Our active schedules sometimes doesn't allow for a complete and healthy meal.
Are there some quick meal healthy tips you can share?

Susie

MalibuSkipper responded:
The Let's Move initiative sounds like a wonderful program that I would love for my family to be a part of. Unfortunately, I have never witnessed anything in our community or schools where there seems to be participation.

Is there a site that lists the cities, schools, organizations, etc that are participating in the Let's Move program, so I can find out if this going on in my area? Also, if it isn't going on here, is there something that I can do to get things started, though I'm not an elected official?

Thanks for your time!
Skip

butterflygarden responded:
What are some activities you'd suggest to get our whole family moving together? (Our three kids are all teenagers, btw.)

Monamia responded:
I deal with a chronic pain condition and I'm also allergic to chlorine so can't do water therapy. I do exercise a little every day with some light aerobics and walk as I can but I'm wondering if your experts have any further tips for those of us who may have some mobility issues. Where/how to start moving when every movement causes pain?

EleanorAnne responded:
Time and money. Most of us have little of each. Where should we focus our energies to get the most bang for our buck?

What can be done in our schools to increase activity and promote healthy eating - for students and teachers alike?

Thanks.

baby1at35 replied to EleanorAnne's response:
My boys who are very active only get 20 mins a day for recess. If the weather is cold in the winter they do not even go outside to play and have to sit by their desks to play. PE is only 1 time per week. I give them after school physical activities but they need that outlet during the day.
What can we do to increase the PE time in our schools?
As the lunch menus change for the better the activity level is still low.
Thank you.

Knowledge2010 responded:
Hello and welcome, Mrs. Obama! You and your dear husband are true inspirations to this beautiful Country and it's people. We are so very fortunate to have you both!

I would just like to ask why children do not go many times with a parent or two out "ice skating" or "skiing" or palying tennis, etc., as many of us did with our own parents years ago? Not only would it be beneficial to all, health-wise, but it would also be wonderful bonding-wise!

Thankyou so very much and God bless you and your dear family!

Sue

lissmeanstrouble replied to Knowledge2010's response:
Wow I really like Knowledge2010s question because they are the first person Ive met to offer positive recognition towards our dear president. I really like president Obama, and think hes done a fine job.
And I totally agree that you dont see as many parents taking their kids out to do such great activities, that encourage activity and bonding.
In my personal opinion the answer to that question is:
Fun activies are over priced, parents are over worked and under paid.
I have a friend who is only 8 years older then me (I dont have any children) she has 7 kids, her 7 year old son, is rather chubby, and I asked why she doesnt get him into sports, and her answer was because she is unable to transport him to practice and games as she does not own a car, and she can not afford the registration fees. He rother children are all very fit and thin looking cause she feeds them healthy, he just really doesnt get anough activity, and I agree that maybe they should increase PE in school, as thats his only free opportunity he'd have to exercise.

Helpful Tips

Toddlers and Calcium
Toddlers need calcium for healthy bones/teeth. 700 mg/day = 2-3 eight oz glasses of milk but also in other food/fortified sources as well. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.