Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

first time momma worried...
Kim62307 posted:
my son will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and i love him very muc but i often wonder if i truly love him. i care for him all day and play with him, when he smiles i have no doubt how much i love him. he melts my heart but when he is crying, like while waiting for me to make his bottle for example, i dont feel bad. i know he isnt hurt and that his food is coming. is this normal to feel this way?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kim and Welcome!

Going through pregnancy, birth and becomming a new mother creates many hormonal, physical and behavioral changes.

The joys and frustrations of a newborn, the lack of sleep and hormonal changes and feelings associated with all of this is difficult to understand. Knowing your son is safe and recognizing his different cries does not mean you don't love him.

But there are other feelings or symptoms you should be aware of and possibly concerned about - Are you getting enough sleep, do you have physical and emotional support from others? Are you experiencing other symptoms, extreme mood swings, lack of interest in your son, difficulty concentrating or remembering, anger toward others?

Most important, don't be afraid to talk with your doctor. Please call them to discuss how you are feeling. They will recognize if your feelings are "normal" or if something else is going on. Postpartum depression , describes a range of physical and emotional changes that many new mothers experience.

It's worth a call to your doctor, just to go over symptoms and make sure you what you are going through is fine.

Motherhood is challenging! It is the most difficult and rewarding job you will ever have! Keep us posted and continue to let us know how you are feeling!
Elizabeth

Kim62307 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
thank you for your reply, i feel much better. i am interested with the baby but to answe your other questions i dont sleep a lot. my husband barely ever gets up with the baby even when i express how tired i am. i do have good support with the rest of my family but probably dont utilize them like i should. i will also talk to my dr at my next appt. thank you again for your response. kim

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Kim62307's response:
Hi Kim,

Glad you checked in and you are feeling better!

I don't want to be an alarmist, but for you and other new mommies out there, just want to make sure all bases are covered.

A couple of my new mom friends struggled with postpartum depression. One mom friend ended up hospitalized after her third child was born. The symptoms crept up and engulfed her.

I understand how difficult it is to ask for help, but I am here to tell you, don't ever feel bad about asking for help and support! I, know easier said than done Some men don't understand how exhausting it is to be home all day with a LO or kids!

Enjoy your little guy, have fun and get some rest when he sleeps and take some time for yourself this weekend. We all should!

Elizabeth

lenono97 responded:
I just want to add, that I think that's a normal feeling. Like you say, you know he is not hurt, etc, so why would you feel bad? It's important to speak up if you need help. I know it's sometimes hard to ask. But those first few months with a new baby can be very hard. Even if you can get your husband to get up one night during the week so you can get a full nights sleep is helpful.

RoseLynn02 responded:
I went through some post-partum blues after my 1st DD was born...nothing really towards her, but towards everything else in my life. It's normal...just watch for the danger signs to make sure you don't fall into post-partum depression & if you see yourself going there then please seek help immediately. Other than that I would say I honestly didn't freak out or feel bad. I knew she was fine & what she was crying for & that I would have it ready for her soon enough. I would say that can be a normal reaction, after all it was a normal reaction for me. My DD even had GERD when she was born (she grew out of it by age 1yr for the most part...but it's pretty much acid reflux) & I honestly didn't even freak out over that. I mean I felt bad that she threw up all the time to some extent, but it was well managed (at least as much as it could be) & it was normal for her & it didn't physically hurt her or bother her. My MIL kept saying I should be more concerned because it "just isn't normal", but what was there to freak out about? She was seeing a doctor regularly, her weight was above normal, she was perfect every where else in her development & I didn't see a reason to get concerned over something that was being managed & was "normal" for our lives. You know you love playing with your baby & seeing him smile & taking care of him, so what if you don't get emotionally distraught when he cries for something you are in the process of taking care of & you already are well aware that he is perfectly ok. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, but like I said just watch for any signs that you may be heading in a worse place. Not saying it will happen, but you never know. Oh yes, & congrats on your new LO.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.