Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Premature Puberty
An_243972 posted:
My son is 8. I just recently noticed that he has pubic hair coming in so we took him to the doctor. He ordered some blood tests that just came back today. Everything that he checked for were in "normal limits" which means that the wants to move forward with more testing--i.e. renal sonogram (tomorrow morning) and then a CT and MRI of the brain. All of these tests are looking for possible tumors--either on the kidneys, adrenal glands, or in the brain. I am scared out of my mind right now. I've been looking everywhere for information on "precocious puberty" and/or premature puberty but I haven't found anything that gives me information about him showing signs of puberty (pubic hair) but having no sign of hormones in his blood... Has anyone else experienced something similar with their boys? Thanks so much...

momuv4girls responded:
I had the same experience w/my daughter at age 8, and her pedi wasn't concerned and she is still developing "normally" for her.

I'm wondering why the aggressive MRI, CT stuff?? From what I have read and seen, 8 isn't that out of the ordinary to begin early development.

Maybe Dr. B. will respond.....

Take care,
-Kathleen

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to momuv4girls's response:
Now I know why I woke with itchy ears...
I wrote about this elsewhere:
http://pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/early-puberty-in-boys/

Bottom line: if it's just pubic hair, it's not puberty. Many people (incl docs, I will say) don't seem to understand this. BUT if it is truly early puberty (which includes increasing height velocity, enlarging testicles, and enlarging penis) then a thorough evaluation is needed. Though girls with early puberty rarely have an identifiable cause (and actually 8 y/o wouldn't be early in a girl) boys who truly begin puberty early are fairly likely to have something going on that causes it.

Best of luck!

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Just FYI, re: early puberty in girls (which really should be handled differently):

http://pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/shes-too-young-is-puberty-starting-early/

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.