Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Febrile seizure
AdysMama posted:
My 2.5yr old had her 2nd seizure within six months last night both were fever related. Only 1/3 of children with condition go on to have multiples. The seizure lasted less than 3 minutes and she was completely coherent within 30 minutes. I keep hearing its scariest for the parents but I can't help but feel like I have a child with special needs. I sit at work in borderline tears because I am so afraid of what she might be doing. Please anyone help me understand this. My doctor says she is perfect and healthy and to be over cautious and begin to administer tylenol and motrin at 99.4 for two days. I just don't understand how this is so common. Neither my husband or I or anyone we know of in our family has had this.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello AdysMama,

Febrile seizures can be frightening and I understand your concern, but please relax and understand that febrile seizures are not uncommon and do not cause long term problems. There is nothing wrong with your daughter because she had a febrile seizure.

According to this WebMD resource , the "chance of another fever seizure varies with age, but about 30% to 50% will have another within a year of the first one. These seizures are not a form of epilepsy."

Within my group of mom friends, two little ones have had febrile seizures recently.

Listen to your doctor, do not stress about this, relax and enjoy your daughter.

Any other parents out there have kids that have experienced febrile seizure?

Elizabeth

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Elizabeth's answer is right-on. Febrile seizures can be scary, but they don't hurt anyone. They truly are quite common-- we see them several times a year in patients in my practice. The kids do great.

Beadlady78 responded:
My son is now 3 and half and he has had two Febrile Seizures, fever related. After doing my own research on them, I was amazed at how many people have children that get these seizures. Even my son's pediatrician, her son gets them too. It is common, and they are not harmful to the child, more stressful on mom and dad. What I have found helps me, is that I have an emergency plan in place if it happens at Day Care (which it has) and when it happens at home. That way day care, my husband and myself know what to do and not panic. We also bought one of those really nice ear thermometers so that if our son feels warm, we can know in seconds what his temp is and can get tylenol into him ASAP. I know this sounds bad, but it does get easier and they do grow out of it. If you need anything, please let me know, I would be happy to give you my email address

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
I thought you may be interested in a new article about seizures -

No Rise in Seizure Risk With MMRV Booster Shot

What are your thoughts on this?

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Toddlers and Calcium
Toddlers need calcium for healthy bones/teeth. 700 mg/day = 2-3 eight oz glasses of milk but also in other food/fortified sources as well. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.