Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Infant born without anus
An_244133 posted:
Has anyone heard of this? My grandson was born without an anus and will need surgery tomorrow. From what we've been told there are four different versions of this problem. We were told it can be corrected he is having surgery tomorrow, but depending on how severe it is he could wind up having to wear a colostomy bag for a long time, or if its the lesser problem they will just repair it. I've never heard of this, if anyone can shed light on it I would appreciate it. Thank you. Worried Grandmother

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
There are varying degrees of this problem, sometimes called "imperforate anus" or "anal atresia". Sometimes kids with this have other issues related to bones or the spine or kidneys or other systems, so often other tests are needed.

The surgery itself is fairly straightforward, but it's difficult for the surgeon to really know what to expect or what to tell the families to expect until he or she is in there doing the procedure. So that can be an understandably frustrating time. Even after the procedure, it takes time to know how well the repair went, whether further revisions will be needed, and when.

Sorry to be so vague. Best of luck!

An_244133 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thank you so much Dr. Benaroch for replying. Yesterday they hooked my grandson up with a colostemy bag. He is only 3 days old now. The surgeon says he has to wait 3 months before performing the surgery. My question is will they be able to tell prior to the surgery if there are other issues related to the bones or spine or whatever systems you mentioned. A response from you would ease my mind as to ask my daughter only upsets her.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to An_244133's response:
I don't know the particulars of the case, but surgeons who work with kids with these problems know to look for other issues that can be associated-- for a pediatric surgeon, this isn't really a rare condition. A few tests would typically be done, like a chest x-ray and a kidney and perhaps heart ultrasound. If they're normal, no other tests are needed.

An_244133 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thank you Doctor. I appreciate the time you took to get back to me.

addyngreysonmom responded:
hello, i have a son with this condition. He will be 3 months on the 30th and is about to have his corrective surgery. At day 2 of life he underwent a surgery to make a stoma so he would be able to pass a bowel movement. My son does have a issue where his kidneys do reflux but our dr said that should fix on its own and he is on a antibotic until it does. we have been thru many test to see if there is any other issues but so far we have not found any and greyson is doing everything a normal 2 month old would be doing.i know what your daughter is going thru but she is not alone. hope this helps and good luck to your family.

An_244133 replied to addyngreysonmom's response:
Thank you for taking the time to respond and I am happy to learn your son will be fine. My grandson doesn't seem to have any other issues either and for that we are very grateful. The doctors will do his corrective surgery when he is 3 months as well. Did your son have a colecstomy as well? God bless your little boy.

Boyzmomee responded:
Yes. When my youngest was born prematurely there was a baby there that had this condition. Surgery was successful.

An_244133 replied to An_244133's response:
Hi, I was wondering if your son had any issues with fecal matter going into other areas. My grandson is in the hospital because fecal matter went into the mucus tube and they have to flush out the fecal matter which caused an infection. Other than this problem he seems to be thriving. Did you have any other problems with this condition. Thank you and how is your son doing?

An_248142 responded:
My grandson was born without one. He wore a colostomy bag for about 6 months and he got the surgery. Everything went well, as long as they have enough intestine to connect it to the opening is okay. He eats everything we give him and he is 16 month. It was the worse thing we heard about, doctors at the hospital we were at told us there were many cases of this and some of his patients were already grown and married. That gave us lots of hope. The concern i have is he was also born with only one kidney functioning we are hanging in there. How did everything turn out for the baby? I just found this site, i wish i had found it sooner. Good luck.

An_257643 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
hello dr. Roy.
I was born without anus and went though all the surgery procedures. But still I have some problems because i still have colostomy in the anus , the problem is some time with loo it start bleeding badly , i just wondering if there is any surgery to remove this out , would be really appreciate if you could reply on this.
look forward hearing from you soon
Thank you
rav

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.