Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Temp 100 for 2 and a half years
An_244178 posted:
Hi, my child is 5 and her temps have been between 99.4 and 100.6 for about 2 and a half years now. Sometimes with mild complaints, sometimes none. The pediatricans tell me that it's not a fever, which I know, but it still seems unusual. She has had some bloodwork done which have come back fine. She has a few other things going on, but they tell me none are related. I am concerned.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Your child is healthy. Stop checking the temperatures-- you're making yourself anxious, and there is no reason to worry.

98.6 is an average temperature. It's not a normal temperature, any more than 5'10" is a normal height for a man. Some people will have higher measured temps, some people will have lower measured temps. Unless there are signs of some illness, there is nothing wrong. Believe me, in 2 1/2 years, if there were anything else going on you would know it by now.

kay_kay75 responded:
My daughters temp runs low like mine it runs about 96.8, I tracked this when she was little to get a baseline for her to know what was "normal" for her. Especially since I know if I am at 98.6 I am sick and feel terrible, I wanted to be able to note this for the doctor. Also when she goes to school I will have the doctor send this information in a medical record so that if she goes to the nurses office they don't send her back to class with a "normal" temp since we know that is not normal for her.

Helpful Tips

"Napux, the Cow" - Improving Healthy Habits trough Community TV in Mexico
Mexico has become the fattest country in the world, but at the same time here in the state of Chiapas there are children starving. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.