Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Just another thought....
Shirlann66 posted:
I am 76, I raised 4 children in the 50's and 60's. We had no Autism. The only thing grossly different I can recall is PLASTIC BOTTLES AND PLASTIC LINERS. We only had glass.

kay_kay75 responded:
I would bet there was Autism, they just locked people away in mental hospitals at that time that showed any symptoms. Just like they did with Down's Syndrome.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to kay_kay75's response:
Leo Kanner described children with autism in the 1940s, so it was definitely around then. His original descriptions are almost haunting-- along with Hans Asperger, they were able to define and characterize the features of autistic children that are still very relevant today.

The biggest change has been the understanding that autism is a spectrum of disorders. When I was in medical school, only the very most severely autistic children would be diagnosed with autism-- kids who didn't speak at all, and didn't interact with their parents. Nowadays, though there are certainly children with severe autism, most children with the diagnosis are more mildly affected and have a very good prognosis with therapy.

Kay_kay is also right-- in the past, many people with autism, and schizophrenia, and Down Syndrome, and cerebral palsy, and many other issues were just locked up and discarded. Families were ashamed and didn't speak of them.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.