Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

walking
72678 posted:
ok my little guy just turned 16 months and he is not walking on his own yet. he pulls himself to a stand and cruises, he does ok walking holding my hand and with his walking toys he did take a small step on his own yesterday and a half step today im hoping that this is a sign of good things to come, my older son who is now 5 walked at 15 months with him he took his first step then the next day he walked across the living room. im just so fustrated i want him to walk i hope there is nothing wrong with him can someone give advice maybe some other things i can do to help him to walk

Anon_68239 responded:
He may just be a late bloomer. Is he hitting all of his other milestones? My son took his first step at 11 1/2 months but didn't really start walking until about a month later, it was just faster to crawl. What ended up working for us is everytime he stood up and took a step, we made a HUGE deal out of it, clapping and telling him how awesome he is. He's such a little ham that he'd do it again just to see our reaction. I've read that there is a huge variation on what is considered "normal" development, especially with walking and talking. That being said, if you are concerned, definately reach out to your pediatrician. They will be able to tell you whether there is a reason for concern and do any tests required.

fcl responded:
Sounds like he's just about ready. The standard age range for walking goes up to 18 months so he still has some time left . Congratulations to him for his first steps!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi 72678 and Welcome -

In addition to the great response from our members, I wanted to pass along this milestone information -

Growth & Development - 12 - 24 Months
Baby's First Year - How Infants Develop

Keep us posted on his progress,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.