Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
2 1/2 yr old goes from not eating to eating everything but now won't feed himself?
Coachcox posted:
My son was recently getting his back molars which has been terrible. His gums are tough and he has drooled and crying alot. He didn't eat much for the first week of it, but we weren't too worried because we was drinking from his sippy cup. Then he stopped drinking from his sippy cup and cried when we tried to get his to, same with eating. He didn't eat or drink for the next week!!! But..... We could get him to drink at might when he was asleep???? He would wake halfway up and reach for a sippy cup and drink it dry, but if he was fully awake he wouldn't drink. He had now finally after two weeks of this, started eating now. But.... Now he refuses to pick up any food or drink himself! At one point we had to force him to eat before he finally did. I don't know if he won't eat by himself now because he got used to us feeding him and now is being lazy or what. He wants us to pick up his food and drink and hand it to him. I don't know what the deal is. He never had an issue feeding himself before all this started, now it's an ordeal to try and get him to pick up food . He refuses every time. Any suggestions????

fcl responded:
Stop doing it. He won't let himself starve - especially n ow that he's back to eating everything. Just carry on with your meal as if nothing was happening and he'll pick it up fairly quickly even if he does go a meal or two without eating first.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to fcl's response:
I agree with FCL. Trying to force this isn't going to help in the long run, but will prolong and intensify the power struggle. Sit together as a family, put food in front of him, and stop paying attention to whether he eats or not. Don't even watch. If he gets any hint that you're worried or concerned or worked up about this, this whole drama will last longer.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.