Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Hands foot and mouth disease
Concerendgrandma posted:
Hello,
I am a grandmother, my grandchildren have been diagnosed with HFM is there anything other than giving them multiple Oatmeal baths and Tylenol? Can adults be carriers of this, how long does it stick around in a house once the children have left? I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so I have a compromised immune system. Can adults get this I've heard mixed answers.

sarahann1978 responded:
My son had it just before Christmas, and since I was pregnant (age 33) I contracted a more milder form as well. I had a sore on the back of my throat and one spot on each of my hands. My worst symptom was blisters on the bottom of my feet, especially around my toes.

My son on the other hand had a pretty nasty case of it, he was almost three at the time. His mouth was the worst, he quit eating and drinking because the pain from the blisters was so bad. The doctor prescribed some stuff called magic mouthwash and we would just squirt that in there to numb it so he could eat/drink. He had spots on his hands, feet, and buttocks, but they didn't really seem to bother him, the mouth was the worst.

Also, neither of us had this symptom, but I have heard that some people will have their finger and toe nails peel off several weeks after they have the disease. I have heard it can happen anywhere from 3-6 weeks after, so don't be surprised if their nails peel off, they will grow back.

butterflygirl_530 replied to sarahann1978's response:
My 1 yr old son was just diagnosed on yesterday with HFM but the dr told me it was a new strand that he had got. He has them all up his legs, arms and was even getting it on his face and ears. He had some in his mouth. Dr also told me that Adults and older childern are getting the new strand of it.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to butterflygirl_530's response:
There is indeed a new virus going around that's causing a more-severe form of hand-foot-mouth. Called Coxsackie A6, this new virus first appeared in Europe a few years ago, and seems to be appearing all over the US now. Many adults do NOT seem to be immune, so we're seeing parents getting this (unlike usual Hand Foot Mouth viruses, to which most adults are immune.)

The new HFM seems to cause a more-severe, more widespread rash, and more severe nail changes and fevers.

The treatment is only supportive: pain medicines, fever reducers, extra fluids. And careful handwashing so no one else gets it!

Concerendgrandma replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Is it true you are only contagious when you have a fever?

Concerned Grandma

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Concerendgrandma's response:
With this virus, and with most others, the period of maximum contagiousness begins BEFORE the illness is obvious, and before the fever. Children with Hand Foot Mouth, the common cold, chicken pox, and many other viral infections are most contagious a day or two before they're obviously ill. That's why the viruses are so successful!

oboingo76 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
I have heard over and over that this type of virus stems from a person being in an unclean environment. Is there any validity to that?

sarahann1978 replied to oboingo76's response:
My home is not an unclean environment at all! This is a highly contagious disease, and if someone brings it into a daycare/school setting it is likely that all the kids with get it. Cleanliness has NOTHING to do with it.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to oboingo76's response:
Nope, HFM in the developed world has nothing to do with cleanliness. It's caused by a group of very contagious viruses that almost all of us will get, sooner or later.

Many cases of infection with these viruses have minimal if any symptoms, so many people don't even know when they or their kids are infected. Still, they spread the virus.

doubledose responded:
Good Evening,

I wanted to say i know exactly what your going through. I'm a twenty-one year old mom of a 19 month old son. There was a major outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease in the schools were i am staying at. i tried at all costs to avoid my brothers in law they are 11, 5, and 3. they all caught this aweful thing. My pediatrician told me that adults normally get it in their mouths although some cases their are possibilites of it going to the hands, feet, and gentitals. I've tried everything to get rid of this bothersome infection, my son had it really bad it had it all over his body with bad blisters to follow. My husband just caught it two days ago and i thought i was home clear. boy i was wrong i caught it in the genital area and it is not fun. My mother has disinfected everything with bleach and that keeps it from spreading quicker than it does. it slowly kills the infection. it will normal stick around for at least a week unless u do what my mom likes to call spring clean and disinfect everything that the kids could have touched. from toys to toilets to chairs. lyesol and bleach work wonders and it makes the house smell good too. don't use fabuloso i found that just spreads it to others faster. and to answer ur question about audlts aquiring this nasty bit yes they can, it's just more common in the throat than anywhere else. for kids under five it seems to be the worst

doubledose replied to butterflygirl_530's response:
wanted to say benidrill for infants works wonders for the itching and helps the child sleep through the night without coughing and itching every second

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.