Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
whole milk
KiKi561 posted:
have a 10 mos. old just want to know is it ok to start her on whole milk

mom2aboy3 responded:
would honestly talk to your pedi most pedi's dont recommend it til their a yr old if you were to ask my brother in law they switched their first son over to milk round 10 months old i waited til my first son was a yr old and will wait with my baby til hes a yr old but like i said ask your pedi for the best recommendation on this

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
It's tough for babies to digest a big serving of whole milk when they're less than a year old-- cow's milk proteins are not really ideal for human babies. In commercial cow's milk-based formulas, the proteins are broken down some, so they're almost "predigested".

A little bit of milk is fine, or a few servings a day of dairy products (like cheese or yogurt.) But a big bottle of cow's milk really isn't such a good idea.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.