Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

help my 9 yr old still wets the bed
gdjackie posted:
I have tried everything, I have read so many things telling you what not to do but nothing that helps. He does not sleep soundly. He is just to lazy to go to the bathroom. I can wake him throughout the night, if i leave his room he will go right back to bed. I started setting alarms in his room he will turn them off and go back to sleep. The next thing I tried was to move the alarm so he had to actually get out of bed, walk across his room to turn it off. Well, he does get out of bed, he does walked across his room the TV stand where the alarm is and he does turn the alarm off however, instead of going to the bathroom he turns and go back to bed. Can anyone help me.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jackie and Welcome!

This does sound frustrating, I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Until others respond with suggestions I wanted to pass along a couple of resources -

Bedwetting Misunderstood But Often Treatable
A Parent's Guide to Bedwetting

Let me know if this is helpful,
Elizabeth

gdjackie replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank You for sharing that information, however we have tried all this and more.. I had the doctor check him out medically and mentally. Everything shows him to be a normal healthy 9 yr old. We are not sure why he refuses to go to the bathroom or why he would rather lay in a wet bed. we had a long conversation and he told me that he just does not like getting up so he will just pee. That is why I know he does it on purpose. His bed sheets would be completely drenched in the morning I don't see how he can sleep like that every night. This is something completely different and I am not sure where to turn from here.

RS11518 responded:
What happens if you wake him in the middle of the night and physically make him get out of bed and walk to the bathroom? Does he change the sheets and do the laundry when he wets the bed? My kids are younger, but when they would do things like this I would try to find something to make them do that they didn't like. It sort of works as a deterrent and also gives me the satisfaction that the kid is being "punished." When my son was having accidents on purpose (around 3 years old), I would make him change his clothes by himself, which he could do but hated doing it without my help. Good luck.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to gdjackie's response:
Hi Jackie -

It does sound like you have explored all options. Did his pediatrician recommend anything further?

What if he wore pull-ups to bed? Do you know approximately what time he does this? Do you think limiting his fluids in the later afternoon and evening would help?

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.