Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

6 1/2 Still sleeping in same bed as Mom
An_242065 posted:
I have a 6 1/2 year old, and I did what i swore I never would do, and started letting my little guy sleep in my bed at the age of two... well now at 6 1/2 he still is in my bed. I have people with opinions telling me this is harmful, and completely wrong. I am his mom, there is no father, I have no boyfriend, it is just me and the little dude. He sleeps solid when in my bed, and very well for the most part. ( I may get suckered punched or kicked in the face every now and then) I am hoping that this summer I can get him in his own bed. Any suggestions?

mom2aboy3 responded:
have the same problem you are having my son is going to be 6 in aug but for the last 2 months i have been forcing him to sleep in his own bed in his own room if he does come into my room at night i make him go right back to his own bedroom at first it was hard for him to understand but now he just comes in takes a sip of my drink i bing to bed ith me due to always getting up with new baby who is sleeping in his own bed i wont make the same choice again but honestly be stern when you start makign your child sleep in his own bed ok because if you give in just once it will continue make it your initiative to set the new bedtime roll in place and like i said be stern because it might take a few weeks but eventually it will work

An_242696 replied to mom2aboy3's response:
In some countries children regularly sleep with parents in a family bed. Our society is a cold one that sees this as wrong. I think it is very sad. Children naturally come to an age where they pull away from parents. At this age they still can be clingy and I personally think there is nothing wrong with it.

Still, society frowns on this and makes mothers feel guilty. Probably time to start trying new arrangements for your sanity. If the child is going through a rough time this may be very hard and may make things worse. Best to try in the summer.Make him part of it with a gradual transition.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.