Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

15 month old On Strike
blueeyedbentley posted:
Hello, I am new to this. I have been Breastfeeding for 15 months now. I would pump but wether it was in a sippy or bottle he refused since 4 months.until now i thought i was doing the right thing. breastfeeding is healthy? We went to my sons peditrition for his 15 month well child and found he still only weighs 21.4 as he did at his 12month well child. he was sick last month with the hands foot mouth disease and didnt eat for a week due to the blisters in his mouth. I also started a full time job and I was advised to stop breastfeeding that way he will only learn to take whole milk. This has been since friday. we have been down this road before and i could only watch my baby cry for one night. i feel like hes in agony due to he cant nurse and now hes on a strike. hes not even eating his foods now
Worried mommy

kjsjks_sept responded:
I can understand your concerns, my youngest son was and still is a strong willed child. My suggestion to you, considering the fact he has not gained weight, would be to focus on improvement with foods at this point. Don't change too much around for him all at once; to go from breastfeeding to not at all might be too much of a shock to him. Perhaps first get some better eating in order for more calories while offering a sippy cup while eating.

Did you start your job already? I assume from your post yes, so consider that this too has made a big change in his life. Tackle the changes one at a time and take your time with it.

And I don't think children gain much weight as it is between year 1 and 2, so I would only be concerned if you feel like he is not getting the proper nutrition.

Just remind yourself, you surely will not be breastfeeding him when he starts school. Take your time and enjoy your son. You both have had some changes lately, so adjustments will take time. Good luck!

An_246130 replied to kjsjks_sept's response:
I agree with the reply above. Keep breast feeding if you and he both find it comforting and a way to re-connect after you get home from work. If he is offered a variety of high calorie nutritous foods and whole milk without any pressure he will be ok. This time goes so fast so do enjoy it. He will adjust and be ok and you don't have to deny him breast feeding if that is what you both want.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.