Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Sleep time temperatures
bud11dy posted:
Should I childs temperature alway rise during sleep?

My son is 5 and he has no signs of being sick, he has been sleepy a lot when I pick him up from the babysitters house. I just figured that he runs around with the 3 little girls over there and is just tired when I pick him up. But I have been noticing that his body is hot to the touch and his temperater is high (101 - 102) while he is sleeping. In the daytime he is usually around 98.6 or 99, but it worries me when he sleeps because it always goes high.
Does anyone know if this is normal?

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Normal body temperature varies throughout the day. The lowest point is usually from 2-6 am, rising about 1 degree F through the day until a peak in the late afternoon. Measured temperature also varies with activity and ambient temperature, and can be influenced even by hunger and sleepiness.

It is a myth that 98.6 is "The Normal Temperature," just like it would be a myth that 5'10" is "The Normal Height" for adult men. 98.6 is considered the middle of the range of normal, but even that isn't very accurate, as different people will vary around their own "normals". The 98.6 is more of historical interest than a medically crucial measurement. It was figured out in the 19th century using thermometers that were incorrectly calibrated, and it's wrong-- but we're kind of stuck with it now.

RE: your own son, since you say he's not acting sick at all, why are you taking his temperature? An elevated measured body temperature can be a sign of illness, but really that's only when a child is acting sick with symptoms.

If you're worried, take him in for a good exam with his doctor, and bring your temperature logs. Write down the actual numbers from the thermometer, and write down how you measured them (what kind of thermometer).

Don't rely on ear temps of those skin-sensor devices, they don't work to accurately measure temperatures.

Best of luck!

Dale1227 responded:
I am experiencing the same thing with my daughter! I have been trying to figure out why, after a nap and after a night of sleep, she feels so hot. So I take her temp and its anywhere from 99.8-100.9...I take it with an ear thermometer and then she cools down after being a wake for awhile. It troubles me because your body temp is supposed to cool while you sleep. This happened before and my pediatrician said nothing and couldn't explain it. Have you found out anything else regarding this?

hgreenwood7058 replied to Dale1227's response:
My body does this as well. I don't cool down when I sleep I actually get hotter as does my son. And we are both healthy.

kay_kay75 responded:
I don't think this is anything to worry about, I get hot when I sleep, but am cool during the day. I think everyones body just cycles through the day. I know that my temp during the day runs low as does my daughters, I took her temp everyday for a month just to get a good read on where she is.

That being said she sweats at night, I have found that we can not use the blanket sleepers for her to sleep in, even in the dead of winter because she wakes up sweaty and her hair is matted to her head from the sweat.

Helpful Tips

"Napux, the Cow" - Improving Healthy Habits trough Community TV in Mexico
Mexico has become the fattest country in the world, but at the same time here in the state of Chiapas there are children starving. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.