Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Molluscum Contagiosum
Concerendgrandma posted:
Hello my grandson has been recently diagnosed with Molluscum Contagiosum he is on predisone augment en , hydroxyz HCL 10MG. We were expecting our daughter with her two kids and,our son's son they are afraid to come and stay at our house, they have read information online and it it says that it lives in our home for up to a year now my husband myself his mother and brother all live in the our home and no one has presented with it or all the people we come in contact with at our jobs, he is in a daycare and it seem's that's when all this started, since Jan he had chicken pox, then hand foot & mouth which I had sent in for information for the HF&M they say this is part of the pox family, how concerned should we all be? I'm sending you a few pics of his rash, bites Well I tried to attach the pics but not sure how, he is 4yrs old this is extremely itchy no fever. Thank you,Concerned Grandma

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
I've written about molluscum elsewhere (though that link includes an editing error-- mollusca are NOT warts, though in some ways they are similar.) They're very common, and they are not in any way serious. But they can be a nuisance, and they may be quite difficult to treat effectively.

Do you have any specific questions I can help with?

Concerendgrandma replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Yes I do, So should people not be in contact with him or our home? Dominic is due for his school physical and that will include another chicken pox shot correct? Will they give him shots if he is still has this? Since its from the pox family if kids have had there chicken pox shot why can they get this? What as far as cleaning all services can I do to remove germs? As I said our daughter and her children came for a visit from MT & ND we are in Rochester, Ny & I need to know how contagious him and our surroundings are. My other daughter has 3 girls 6,5,21/2
lives local and they have not caught anything. Does swimming in a pool spread this to others?

Thank-you
concernedgrandma

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Concerendgrandma's response:
The virus is essentially everwhere, and just about everyone has already been exposed to it. Why some people end up with these bumps, while most people do not, isn't known. The bumps are almost never seen in adults or kids past age 10. There is no requirement to keep him away from other people or avoid contact. There is practically speaking no way to avoid contact with this germ, and since everyone has already had it, no reason to try. Pool swimming doesn't have to be avoided.

I don't know what vaccines he's due for, but any routine vaccines can and should be given. Molluscum is caused by a virus from the "pox" family, but that has nothing whatever to do with the virus that causes chicken pox (which is actually a herpes virus). There is no vaccine to prevent molluscum. I know there terms can make it sound confusing, sorry about that.

Is this dangerous to a pregnant woman?

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Concerendgrandma's response:
No, no special danger to pregnant women.

Thank-you for the info Dominic goes tomorrow for a recheck and physical maybe its all for not and it is something all together!
thanks again,

concerendgrandma

Concerendgrandma replied to Concerendgrandma's response:
I wanted to let you know that Dominic went to the Dermatologist he actually had Eczema contact dermatitis. I guess it can look pretty gross. Thank-.you for all your help!
Concerenedgrandma

Helpful Tips

Toddlers and Calcium
Toddlers need calcium for healthy bones/teeth. 700 mg/day = 2-3 eight oz glasses of milk but also in other food/fortified sources as well. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.