Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Need info about why 7 yr old son having UTIs
An_246595 posted:
Im worried about my son and was hoping someone could help ease my worries. In the last 2 months my 7 year old son has started having UTIs. He has never had these before and I dont know of anything different that has been causing these to occur. He has had frequent urination, buring when urinating and a small amount of blood toward the end of urinating, he even gets up at night to go. I am a lab tech at a small hospital and I did a UA and micro on him, with the results being moderate blood, small amout white cells, no nitrates(bacteria), and 100 mg/dl protein. The protein really worries me, because you should have no protein in your urine. He has been on antibiotics twice now, each time clearing up. He is now on his third round of antibiotics in 2 months. I thought UTIs were more common in girls, rather than boys. Please any advice would be great.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
My first question would be, has he really had a UTI? The u/a results are not definitive. What were the culture results? A UTI cannot be diagnosed without a urine culture.

What does the doctor say?

The appearance of blood at the end of the urine stream is suggestive of chronic urine holding, which can also cause the symptoms you've described.

labtech76 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
The culture grew out Staph. Saprophyticus. He was given clindamycin to take, which he finished. But now 4 weeks later he has another one and back on clindamycin. Our ER doctor where I work is trying to get him in with a pediatric urologist. As I stated before this is his third one in three months

labtech76 replied to labtech76's response:
The first time no culture was done he was put on bactrim, the second time the culture was done growing out S. Saprophyticus and he was put on clindamycin. Now this is the third time and he is back on clindamycin.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to labtech76's response:
S saprophyticus is an unusual cause of UTI in prepubescent boy-- and may well have been a contaminant. Your child may not have had a UTI (which would explain why antibiotics aren't helping.) He ought to be evaluated by a pediatrician, or if you prefer a ped urologist. Be sure to bring copies of these tests and the culture. Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.