Includes Expert Content
Best dog to get for a 1 year old and 3 year old...
sdadkin posted:
We want to get a dog for the kids. We found 2 Chocolate Labs on Petfinder.com and we went and got them yesterday. They are really sweet, but we think we're going to have to take them back though. They were born in January and are already huge! They already weigh over 60 pounds and will continue to grow. If they could knock us over when just playing, I can only imagine what they would do to our babies! The kids weren't home last night (they spent the night with their grandparents) so they haven't seen them yet.

Can any of you guys reccommend a good kid friendly pet that doesn't bark a lot? We don't really want a small dog- I guess maybe a medium sized one?

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
You might want to consider a rescue dog-- those are adults, or near-adults, who've been fostered while they're looking for a forever home. Getting a rescue dog means you'll already know that they're good with kids, or infrequent barkers, or whatever. Basically they've been "road tested."

Puppies are a whole lot of work, and I doubt homes with 2 young kids are the best place to raise them. Sure are cute, I know, but practical? Maybe not.

FWIW, we have a rescued rat terrier who's wonderful!

cutie2shoes replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
I couldn't agree more Dr. Benaroch. Go for a rescue dog who is older, more settled and who has been kid-tested. Do some research because you may want a fairly low-maintenance dog since you've got two young kids. There are so many medium-sized and large dogs who are very gentle with kids.As a long-time pet rescuer and advocate for shelter pets, I can tell you that pit bulls or pittie mixes can be perfect companions for kids. They get such a bad rap because so many are raised to fight, so shelters are filled with them. They are not natural killers. Any dog can be trained to kill if treated cruelly enough. Go online and check out various breeds until you find one that seems to suit your needs. You will surely find a breed-specific non-profit rescue group for the type of dog you decide on. These groups do the work of angels. They rescue dogs from shelters, often just before they're about to be destroyed. They get them spayed or neutered and whatever other vet care they require and place them in a volunteer foster home where they are carefully screened for behavior with kids and other pets, toilet training, obedience, walking on a leash, etc. Once you find a dog you're interested in, the rescue group/foster family can give you an accurate assessment of that particular dog's temperament. And there are volunteer transport groups that will get your dog to you from almost anywhere to almost anywhere. There's nothing like the love and devotion of a rescued dog. Happy searching for your new furry family member.

butterflygarden responded:
I am really late to this conversation, and you may have already gotten the pet of your dreams. But, I wanted to tell you that we have a standard Australian shepherd, and he is a delight. He's high energy, so he loves to play with the kids, but he's not a barker and he's very careful around little ones.

In fact, our neighbors have a 2-year-old, and another neighbor let his huge labs out one day while we were all in the yard. Those dogs ran straight for the toddler at full speed! We were afraid they were going to bowl him over. But, right before they got to him, our Aussie ran in front of them and herded them in another direction. Just pure instinct, I guess.

He also loves to be with us wherever we are, and he doesn't let the kids out of his sight.

The key with having dogs and kids together, regardless of the dog you get, is proper training. Your dog needs to know who is boss. It takes a lot of time, but it's worth it.

Be sure you can reach in front of him while he's eating and take his food.

Be sure you can stop him from eating and make him sit and wait.

Be sure you can have a signal that tells him when he's being too rough so he stops immediately.

Do not put up with bad behavior.

Pets are a great way to kids to learn life lessons. I hope you find the one that is perfect for your family.

Butterfly

worn1 responded:
I agree with the above responses. I volunteer for a german shepherd rescue. These dogs are fantastic. If you have not selected your new family members let me make a suggestion find out where the rescues are having thier adoption events and visit them. Take the kids with you.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to worn1's response:
My office manager has a rescued German Shepard-- she is one of the gentlest, sweetest dogs I've ever met. After she was adopted, she was found to be carrying puppies! All of her puppies found forever homes, too.