Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Soon to be 4 yr son will not use potty
Reace102308 posted:
Any advice would be welcomed!! Our son will turn 4 in October. He sits on the potty, but has not gone yet. He gets very stressed out. I try to not make a big deal out of it to ease the stress on him. This morning was a battle just getting him to put on his underwear. He has peed on the floor after sitting on the potty and saying he does not have to go. He doesn't have a problem sitting on it. We got him a Spongebob seat. But he sits there and says "I can't do it." He is not ready. We have tried the waterproof training pants to put on over his underwear...nothing is working. He is just afraid to do it. He wanted his pull up back on as quick as possible this morning, so I put it back on him and said we would take a break and try again later... I am starting to freak out because of his age. Help....Any suggestions?

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
You say he's afraid, and you say he is not ready, and you say you are starting to freak out. I think there is a connection there. You didn't mention constipation, but I'm thinking he's been holding it in, too.

Stop all attempts, reminders, and "tries." He will do this when he is ready, and he will not do this with continued pressure and stress. Tell him, "I know you'll do this when you're ready, and you'll do a good job. Let me know when you want to start using the potty." When you "drop the rope", and he believes that you've really dropped the rope, he will be fine.

Best of luck. You can do this. So can he.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.