Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Biting...
sdadkin posted:
Whenever my 15 month old gets upset or when you tell him no he will bite whatever is in front of him- i.e. toys, chair, himself, his brother... I know it's because he can't communicate his feelings- but how do I get him to stop? I try telling him no and telling him "ouch" but it doesn't seem to help. He isn't saying many words yet (mostly just hi and bye). Over the weekend he managed to bite his brother twice and me once. He didn't draw any blood, but it did leave some nasty bruises. And this morning I found out that he bit a little boy on the cheek because he wanted his truck. I just don't know what to do. And please don't tell me to bite him back because I can't do that! I have tried timeouts, but I don't think he really connects the two yet. Any other advice?

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
I don't honestly think biting him back will work, and I don't suggest that.

Fixing this is worth some work-- but it can be done. You need to be very consistent, and he will learn.

Try: http://pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/time-out-a-users-guide/

Best of luck!

tothebeach4 responded:
My son is 2.5 years old and we're having the same issues with him biting people. In the last week and a half, he has bitten 2 children at school on the face... not good. So, I can definitely relate to the feelings of frustration and disappointment - especially because my son is older and absolutely understands that biting hurts.

So... I went to my mom with this because I just couldn't understand exactly WHY he was biting. She found an awesome article that made a lot of sense to me. I hope this helps!

Read this and let me know what you think of it.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello all -

Ouch! Here are a couple more biting resources -

Biting - Topic Overview
Stop Child From Biting: Strategies

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.