Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

non-diabetic Child with 300+ insulin on OGTT???
outdoorbaby posted:
  • *I entered this on the diabetic board, but was recommended to try here as well. Would love any suggestions or thoughts. I also included the additional replies I had made that include extra info.**

Endocrinologists say her numbers do not make sense and are at a loss at this point. Would love an opinion on where to go from here.

11y/o female with unexplained weight gain for past 6 years.

Fasting OGTT with 75 gram glucose drink: ( This was done twice due to high insulin levels, with similar results )

Glucose:
    Fasting specimen 66
    1 hour specimen 102
    2 hour specimen 107

Insulin Response to Glucose:
    Fasting Specimen 23
    1 hour specimen 215
    2 hour specimen >300

Leptin 42.5 (high)

C-Peptide 3.09 (normal)

Lots of bloodwork, everything else basically normal. Strange that C-peptide is normal, but insulin is outrageous. She is on NO medications and no exogenous insulin.

Also had negative MRI of pancreas.

Thanks for looking and for your thoughts.

-------

She mostly follows a paleo diet, which is lean meats, nuts, non-starchy veges & occasionally fruit (only 1/2 cup at a time and that is usually berries). If she does have fruit or a small amount of gluten-free cereal, she never eats it w/o a protein. She is allergic to gluten and casein, so she very rarely eats gluten-free bread and seldom eats a small amount of cheese. She ONLY drinks water...never juice or soda. Her diet has always been fabulous and she is a VERY active child. That's why none of this makes sense.

She recently started following 20g protein & 20g carbs per meal and has 2 snacks of 10g protein and 5-10g carbs and she has lost some weight with that balance.

She is more knowledgeable about nutrition than most adults even. I am very proud of her that she has a healthy mindset and approach to the food situation.

The endo says she has no markers of co-morbidity. It is frustrating but we will not give up.

------------

Several different thyroid markers checked and everything is within normal limits....it was on the low-end of normal so she was put on 25mcg of Levothyroxine as a trial, but it made her "moody" with no other noticeable benefits, so it has been discontinued. She is not currently on any other medications, other than fish oil to help with insulin/blood sugars.

--------

She had a negative MRI of the pancreas (which apparently doesn't show a tumor most of the time anyway...I think CHOP has a PET/CT scan they can do, but only if it is highly suspected, because there are radiation risks that go along with that).

C-Peptide is normal....it should be about 5x the amount of insulin. She also does not have severe hypoglycemia, which they say is typically present with a tumor. One doctor thought tumor. Another doctor thought that was way off base....so....still searching. Somewhere I had read about the possibility for an autoimmune disease falsely elevating an insulin level. I need to research that more.

-----------

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
    I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.