Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Nail Polish Ingested
    pddnosasd posted:
    I have a six year old daughter who still sucks her finger. Other family members still paint her nails, even though I have asked them to stop. My daughter sucks the polish off of her fingers. I need to know if this can create any permanent damage to her body or mind.
    Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
    I don't think a little dried nail polish is likely to be toxic. After all, many adults bite their nails. Still, to be sure, the best resource for ANY parent with questions about a potential poison ingestion is to call the national Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. They're open 24/7, it's a free resource for parents (and pediatricians!)

    Helpful Tips

    Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
    Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.