Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
My 21 month old had a seizure (?)
librarianmama posted:
Hi,

I'm a new member, but I've often read discussions on here. I've got to wait two more weeks for any possible answers, so I thought I would see what someone here has to say.

This past monday at daycare, my 21 month old daughter had what we think is a seizure. For no apparent reason, she fell forward, on her face. The teacher rushed to get her, and she arched her back and got very rigid and stiff. She was unresponsive and the teacher said she was making a gurgling noise. Her tongue was hanging out. By the time she got the daycare's director, my girl was awake and crying. She was sleepy afterwards, but within an hour she was completely back to baseline, playing and seeming fine. She has never had any health issuses or developmental issues, she wasn't running a fever and she wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary when it happened. She is scheduled for an EEG and an EKG in a couple of weeks. What could this mean? How likely is she to have another one? Epilepsy does not run in either of our families.
Thank you so much for any responses!
Emmy

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Seizures are among the scariest things parents have to deal with. They're really not that uncommon in children, and they rarely mean there's anything serious going on as long as the child recovers quickly and then acts normally.

Most children who have a single seizure will never have another one, though some are at risk for further seizures. The EEG is done in part to help estimate the future risk of seizures.

Fortunately we do now have very good and safe anti-seizure medicines that can be used if there is a high likelihood of further seizures.

Best of luck!

librarianmama replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. Benaroch. Her appointment is tomorrow. I'm a nervous wreck! lol I'm not as worried at this point about the outcome as I am about the actual procedure. She's so little, and she gets really frightened by strangers.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to librarianmama's response:
EEG is pretty painless.... but it can be a weird experience. Hopefully they're used to toddlers and can help it go smoothly! best of luck-

lobermann replied to librarianmama's response:
My DD has a seizure disorder and has had numerous EEGs done. Waiting for the results totally does suck, but the testing actually isn't to bad. The worst part about it is trying to get the "glue" out of your child's hair. Everyone does something different. I would just wash my daughter's hair as soon as we could and take a fine tooth comb and comb her hair over and over again. By now you have already had the testing done and I hope everything turns out well!

Helpful Tips

"Napux, the Cow" - Improving Healthy Habits trough Community TV in Mexico
Mexico has become the fattest country in the world, but at the same time here in the state of Chiapas there are children starving. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.