Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Double MMR AND VARICELLA dose at age 5
Prashj posted:
I am really frustrated and concerned. My son was given the varicella and MMR VACCINE about 8 days apart when he turned 5. Now we have found out that the MMR has become void becauseboth are live vaccines. So, I got him another dose of Varicella after a year. But now the school nurse is saying it wasn't Varicella that was void but the MMR as that was given later. I now know the nurse at his doctors office is a good for nothing woman. I asked her to make sure with the doc. And yet she made the same mistake again.

My HUGE. Concern and question is: am i putting my child at any kind of risk(autism, etc. ) by giving him these second doses?

Pls. Help.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Two live vaccines (live MMR and Varicella) can be gven on the same day, but if not given on the same day they have to be separated by 28 days or more, or the second vaccine is invalid and will have to be repeated to get a good immune response.

The extra doses of MMR and Varicella are not extra-harmful and will not cause any problems, but they will keep him from getting these diseases. That's the good part.

I agree that they should have been done correctly the first time, and it's unfortunate that you had to have this hassle and extra visits. But there really isn't any reason for any huge concern.

Prashj replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thank you for taking time to reply. Appreciate your response.
I am going ahead and giving him the MMR too.
Thanx.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.