Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

School Uniforms -- Love them or hate them?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Our county public schools put a uniform policy in place a couple years ago.

It was set up to help all kids be on a more level playing field and stop some of the bullying.

The community was really divided over it. Most of the kids hated losing the right to dress up in the latest trends.

How do you feel about school uniforms? Do they serve any real purpose?

Olivia
WebMD Community: A vibrant place to find support and feedback from experts and others like you.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

monamia responded:
My kids never went to any schools where this was an issue and I liked it that they could dress the way they wanted within reason but I've always wondered about it. The theory behind such a policy makes some sense but I honestly don't know if it really makes any difference in lessening the isolation, bullying, neglect, popularity contests and cliques, etc.

As my grandkids start to enter the school system, I'll be curious to read what others say about this.

butterflygarden responded:
Our schools have a policy, but the uniforms aren't specific to each school. And, it's pretty generous, actually.

Kids can wear solid colored bottoms and any color polo shirt on top or a school-approved school t-shirt. The one stipulation is the polo must not have a logo bigger than a quarter.

The problem with that is the kids who have the money buy their polos from Abercrombie and Fitch, while the kids who don't buy theirs at Walmart. The kids aren't dumb. They know the difference. So, the playing field is not REALLY leveled.

One of the main reasons uniforms were put in play here was teachers were tired of fussing with the kids who were wearing their pants down below their underwear. Unfortunately, the high school boys are STILL doing this, they just hide it under a long polo shirt.

While buying school clothes becomes simpler for parents, I don't think the uniform policy does much to stop bullying or bad behavior in general, so I'd rather they just didn't have it.

Butterfly

SweetSusieB responded:
I'm torn on this. As much as I would love to see kids express themselves with their clothes and style, it takes the pressure off them and their parents to keep up with the other kids, as far as who is wearing what.
It's simple for sure.
My kids went to public schools and never did have to wear them, but a great deal more of public schools now are enforcing this rule. I guess I am still torn.

worn1 responded:
Comming from a poor family I wish they had uniforms when I was in school. May be there would have been fewer fights from being teased and bullied for the way I dressed.
Currently my sisters daughter has 2 children in school. They changed from dress as you like to uniforms. The change has been for the good. More attention is paid to what is being taught instead of what every one is wearing and for those that can not afford the latest fashion no teasing or bullying.

EleanorAnne responded:
My daughter's school requires uniforms. It does make it easy to get dressed in the morning. It's difficult because you can only buy clothes from their vendors, it's expensive and sometimes the items are unavailable.

The uniform code is so specific down to the color of socks, specific shoe, bows and hairbands.

But I think the ease of getting dressed in the morning outweighs the other stuff.

Ellie

SoCalSuz responded:
There are some public schools in Los Angeles that have a dress code - blue or tan pants, collared shirt in white or red or navy. Kids are able to get their clothes from any store as long as they fit the color/style requirements.

I think it's great and it serves a purpose for both the kids and the parents - it's easier to budget and you avoid the "what to wear" morning drama. There's always after school, weekend and summer opportunities to wear your fashion outfits.

Suz

mfltlk responded:
I'm a social worker with 25 years experience, and YES school uniforms are absolutely worthwhile!

They eliminate the wardrobe contests, thus eliminating the obvious differences between the "haves" and the "have-nots".

They increase a sense of comradeship when there's an identifiable link of commonality.

Uniforms instill a sense of values as to what is and what is not appropriate school attire. With short, short, shorts and tops showing plenty of cleavage, this generation needs some help
!
They save money and stress, both for parents and the students.

I wish I could change the whole educational system to see the value in school uniforms!

seafoodlady responded:
yes, I grew up with uniforms and hated them however it helped to even the playing field for us kids with not much money not having the "cool" clothes. It also helps first thing in the morning not having to make the decision of what to wear. When all the kids wear the uniform they all look so nice instead of blue jeans falling off and shorts or skirts way too short. So I vote yes, for all the good reasons I do not know of too many bad reasons help parents save money by not having to keep up with the Jones's kids and all the quick changing fads.

seafoodlady replied to butterflygarden's response:
That is not really a uniform it is more of a dress code I think. A uniform is the same shirt and same skirt/pant. The shirt should be worn in to help with the boy's pant situation. Also wearing the uniform shirt in teaches neatness and personal pride. I hated them as a kid but later I realized how really wonderful they were and we all looked the same instead of the "haves" and the "don't haves". Helped with the division of "clicks".

seafoodlady replied to worn1's response:
This is exactly my point. The "haves" and the "have not" clicks.

seafoodlady replied to EleanorAnne's response:
Ask school to work on suppliers. They should provide at least 2 in case the 1 supplier runs out of certain things and usually the price can be lower with compition between multiple suppliers....

seafoodlady replied to mfltlk's response:
AMEN!

Duke19 responded:
With all the issues in our society today. I think having all kids wearing uniforms would be great. It brings a level of equalization, respect, & quality. Besides teaching the understanding of what a uniform means, it also offers the opportunity to demand some discipline. Something I feel is lost from our society. Teaching children and young adults simple concepts, and holding them to these concepts, will help to bring responsibility back into our culture. We all need this.

Anon_167186 replied to Duke19's response:
I think they are a good idea, when i went to school we had uniforms but i went to a private school, we had to wear tan skirts and navy blue tops, i like the uniform idea that way there is no who has the in clothes, cus i know i cant afford abercrombie and fitch, holister, but thats my opinion, you can put the kids in uniforms but there will be something else that they will find to be cruel about

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.