Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Snoring in 9 year old boy
An_247440 posted:
My son is 9 years old, and his snoring is becoming a family issue. He can wake up everyone in the house with his snoring. When he was 4 years old he had his tonsils and adenoids removed, and we noticed an improvement in his snoring and sleep. However, over the last year and a half, we have noticed a strong decline in his sleep quality. He puts himself to sleep by 7:30 every night as he is so exhausted, and he wakes up every morning before 6:00. By the time he gets through a day of school, he is pooped!

I have discussed this with our pediatrician, and she recommended allergy pills (he does have mild environmental allergies) and a nose spray. We do take allergy medication, and he hates the nose spray, but endures it nightly, but it is just not working. Since the adenoids and tonsils are removed already, we are at a loss.

He is an otherwise healthy, slim, smart energetic boy, if not a little sleepy most of the time. Any assistance or previous experience would be very helpful. Thank you.

tothebeach4 responded:
Sounds like he may benefit from a sleep study; he could have sleep apnea. Or you could ask his doctor to recommend or prescribe a different allergy medication if what he's currently using isn't working well for him.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to tothebeach4's response:
Honestly, I'm not even sure a sleep study is needed. The history is so suggestive-- it's obvious that he has sleep disordered breathing, and it's having a significant impact.

Depending on surgical technique, adenoids (and even sometimes tonsils) can grow back. He ought to be re-evaluated by an ENT.

Also, oral antihistamines are unlikely to be effective in shrinking tissue. They can help with allergic symptoms like drippy nose, itching, or sneezing, but they are ineffective for swelling or congestion. The topical nose spray prescriptions (Flonase, for example) are much more effective for this. If you've used one of these nightly for 2 weeks and it isn't helping, it's time to look for another solution.

Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.