Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Homework - How much is too much?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Talking with friends it seems much of their afternoon and evening consists of trying to stay focused to complete homework.

After homework, dinner, bath and bed the day is done.

How do you feel about homework? Should there be a way to make sure there is not too much?

Elizabeth

Jessicafrench responded:
While I do feel homework is an important part of learning personal responsibility, I do not agree with the amount these kids are being loaded down with. They are in school approx 6 hours a day. you would think they would have time for work during that time. I understand the teachers are under a lot of pressure but a child needs time to be a child too. no matter how big the kid is. I have a 17 year old at home and a 4 year old. my teenager works during the summer on top of school. He has said work is much less stressful than school. its a few more hours but he can relax and is not stressed out by having to come home and do more work. these kids have to study for tests on top of homework so you can basically say good bye to any other organized activities if you want to give them some free time.

Taurino replied to Jessicafrench's response:
I agree times have changed and some student work has become more difficult. Some work is less stressful and has no take home work allowing you to relax after, but what kind of job is that? Minimum wage burger flipping? It's all just practice for the real world. Take your sons teachers for example, they are stressed at work trying to give their students all they can and then they go home to grading, contacting parents, looking on line for inspiring lesson ideas, stressing about some of their students' terrible home life, stressing about the students who get no home support, and planning for the next day....And somewhere they fit in time to deal with their own family activities and their kid's H.W. My husband is an architect and spends a full day at work and then comes home to finish drawings he couldn't get done because of site visits and client phone calls. It's all just practice for the real world.
I have a 1 and 2 year old and I get stressed with what is to come when they start school and sports. I already can't get any of my take home work done until they go to bed.
Good luck to you and your son. I hope he gets into a great college with all his hard work!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.