Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Double vaccinations
joepyeweed posted:
At my daughter's 18 month visit she was mistakenly given her 15 month vaccinations again instead of the 18 month vaccinations. We waited one month and then she received the 18 month vaccinations. She is now four and is due for vaccinations again. While looking at the CDC's vaccination schedule I realized that all the shots she will be receiving at four years of age are the same one she was double dosed with. Is there any need for her to have these 4 year vaccinations? She has autism and while I don't think vaccines are the cause the mom in me can't help but be worried.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
The rules for spacing and timing of vaccines are complex. They're designed to make sure the vaccines are both safe and effective, and these guidelines ought to be followed.

SOME of the vaccines can be given earlier than customary, and they still work fine. For instance, the second MMR is traditionally given at age 4-6, but it's valid and works early, as long as it it's given more than 4 weeks after the 1st dose. SO: if your child had MMR at 15 mo and 18 mo, she is "done" and doesn't need another MMR at age 4-6. Likewise, the second chickenpox dose can also be given "early" in many circumstances.

However, the DTaP and IPV (polio) vaccines must include at least one dose on or after 4th birthday to be effective. If an extra dose of these was given at 18 months, it wasn't harmful, but it won't give a good immune response. Your daughter will need a dose of these two on or after 4th birthday, regardless of how many doses were given prior.

Make sure your pediatrician looks over the immunization record carefully. While extra doses aren't dangerous, I wouldn't want her to get doses that she really doesn't need.

Best of luck!

joepyeweed replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thanks so much for your response. I will discuss this with our pediatrician at my daughter's next visit.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.