Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

my grandson is always fussy and spits up
asandnk posted:
My grandson is 3 1/2 months old. His doctor says he has some acid reflux, he recently took him off the soy formula because he said he was allergic to the protein in the formula... so now he is on Alementum. We thought he was a little colicky but now I'm not so sure because he doesn't get the hard tummy and have certain times of day, like the evening when it is worse. Plus, I had a colicky baby and at 3 months it got so much better. He has days where he screams and cries all day, he spits up several times a day, and even though he is on the Alementum he still has diarrhea. Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this and have any suggestions?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello asandnk -

It is so upsetting to see little ones with tummy troubles!

Please continue to talk with his doctor to rule out other causes of his discomfort.

These resources may offer some suggestions to comfort his tummy and those caring for him -

Could Your Baby's Crying Be Colic?
Why Babies Cry - Video (about halfway through they talk about colic.
Calming Your Baby - Video

Also, please connect with others going through this stage on our Baby's First Community .

Let us know if these suggestions help. Hoping you have a smiling, happy guy very soon,
Elizabeth

seeit2 responded:
This sounds exactly like my daughter was and she has a food allergy. If that is the case here there is not much you can do about that at this age, but I would keep it in the back of your head once you start solids with the baby. There is an "allergen-free" formula called Nutramigen that may help, but it is unbelievably expensive and judging from the smell may not be very tasty. Your grandchild's pediatrician may have samples you could try if you want to look into it a little more. And if you google it the company's website sends out samples too. Of course, this is just my experience - I am not a doctor - but it may explain the upset and the diarrhea. You may want to bring it up at the next appointment to see what your doc has to say.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.