Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

tummy trouble
An_248016 posted:
Our 7 year old routinely complains of a stomach ache, we have been noting eating habits, observing if there are possible onsets such as school nerves, changes in behavior or just general household changes, but nothing that would be a definate finger pointer. We did visit our peditrician who at times seems rather extreme whom did order blood test and stools samples and xrays and said that she was backed up and that she also had a parasite probably from drinking water at school or from eating out and prescribed antibiotics in pill form for her at the time she was 5 , which doesn't seem sensible considering most adults have a hard time gestating pills, but the weird thing is she prescribed her to take 4 tablets four times a day, thats 16 tablets per day for a five year old, needless to say we gave every attempt to get her to try and swallow the over dozen pills each day between masking them in yogurt, to juice to even trying it in soda or a sweet just to get our daughter to get the medicine down, we failed and she ended up vomiting more than she consumed, long story short she still has the somach aches and another thing that sticks it my mind when we called the dr to revise the prescription do to the difficulty we were having, she stated that this was the only antibiotic that would kill the parasite and that that was the only form that it came in, so we ended up not finishing the treatment, and there was also a signifigant break in the complaints of her stomache ache, about a year went by and here we are again with the continuous complaints, before dinner, after dinner, in the middle of the night, in the morning, before school after school, during play time or the movies, the latest complaint which brought more concern than usual was in the drive through getting dinner, she begged me to please leave because it hurt so bad and that she just wanted to get home and did cry the 20 minutes home. I am sure another visit to the doctor is mandatory, but convincing her of this given the last set of circumstances seems to be a great task. We just want to know when does it become serious enough that we force another trip back to the dr and could it be this mysterious parasite from the water? Thank you The Lopez family/concerned

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Lopez Family -

She does sound like she is uncomfortable, I am sorry to hear she has been struggling with this.

If this is interfering with her daily activities please do contact your doctor to have this evaluated. It may be helpful to create a journal (similar to this or this one ) to see if you can see a pattern, food or activity that is associated with this.

Please let us know what you find out and how she is doing.

Hoping you find answers soon,
Elizabeth

tummytrouble69 responded:
Thank you for your response, we actually introduced some pro bbiotic in the form of a gummy chew and started a small dose o of mirmax, definately less complaints of tummy ache, but the obvious now she has diareha, so maybe finding a fine balace
between the pribiotic and the miralax may be the key if not I don't want to continue to home medicate her if there may be a less stressful venue for us to follow.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.