Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
3rd MMR & Varivax vaccine
kimgusduffy posted:
My son is six and our pediatrician just gave him a 3rd MMR shot and 3rd Varivax shot. I am wondering if this is something I should be worried about or if there s anything I should be looking for as far as side effects.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
No special risks or problems are likely, though it's unfortunate that these unnecessary shots were given-- mostly because they hurt some, and they're expensive.

We seem to get a lot of these "extra doses" questions here on the parenting board. As I've said before, it's a good idea for parents to check in advance so they know what to expect at immunization visits, and to make sure that the facility giving the vaccines has the COMPLETE record of all previous shots. It's very important-- it's crucial-- that you keep your child up to date on vaccines, but extra doses don't help, and parents and doctors need good communication to work together to make sure that the correct vaccines are given at the correct time.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.